× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 102 constantly accessing disk

YS79
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 102 constantly accessing disk

Hi,

I've been using a ReadyNAS 102 for several years now, soley to run Logitech Media Server to stream FLAC files to a number of Squeezeboxes at home.

Usually, the box is silent until starting to stream some music, at which point you hear it spin up and then the intermittent sound of the drive being accessed.

Over recent weeks, it sounds like the drive is constantly being accessed and there is no longer the audible sound of the drive whizzing into action when starting to play music.

I've reset the Logitech app, reset the 102, updated the firmware, unplugged the connection to my router and checked the log - none of which helped or was informative.

The only thing that this may have coincided with was a change in router but other than that I can't think of anything else that has changed.

I'm running firmware v6.10.10 and the only active app is LMS NT v7.9.0. I have two drives (a 4TB and a 2TB) of which 1.03 TB is used.

I've found a few posts from people with a similar issue but haven't been able to resolve this myself. Please could someone give me some pointers towards how to find out why this has started happening?

Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 102 constantly accessing disk

Does the problem stop after you remove the network cable?

Message 2 of 7
YS79
Aspirant

No, it doesn't seem to.
Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@YS79 wrote:
No, it doesn't seem to.

Do you have any cloud services enabled?

I suggest downloading the log zip file, as there might be some clues in one of the logs.

Message 4 of 7
YS79
Aspirant

I don't have any cloud services enabled (unless there are any that don't appear on the Cloud tab on the admin console).

I've downloaded the logs and have had a bit of a browse through them but have to admit complete ignorance of what I'm looking for. Are there particular logs or entries that might be more useful? Bearing in mind that I'm a complete novice in these matters.

One thing that I forgot to mention earlier was that with the recent change of router, the RN102 now has a new IP address - might that be contributing here?

Thank you for you interest and input - it's much appreciated.

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Maybe double-check that spindown is enabled for the disks.

@YS79 wrote:

I've downloaded the logs and have had a bit of a browse through them but have to admit complete ignorance of what I'm looking for.

If you like, I can take a look.  Put the full zip into cloud storage, and then private message (PM) me with a download link.  You send a PM using the envelope icon in the upper right of the forum page.  Make sure the link permissions are set so anyone with the link can download.

Message 6 of 7
YS79
Aspirant

Yes, the disks are set to spin down.

Thank you again for your ongoing help - I've sent you a PM with a link to the logs.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements