Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Modem/Router w/ R6700V2 add on

TacoTruck247
Aspirant

Modem/Router w/ R6700V2 add on

Just got a new house! Wanting to buy my own modem/router instead of renting. Searched a good bit and can't find an exact answer to my thoughts. 

Which of these systems would be best for a 2100sqft house, two floors, with my gaming done upstairs. Trying to get ethernet cable to the 2nd floor, directly into the gaming room and hopefully into the R6700v2 (hardline game systems off that)  to have a better wifi signal for other devices upstairs. I don't want to completely throw out my R6700v2 just yet. 

I have seen people asking about the AP/Bridge/Repeating features. What do you need for each of these and what are the pros/cons of each?

I appreciate any and all help!!

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

Re: Modem/Router w/ R6700V2 add on

@TacoTruck247 wrote:

Between an AX6000 (CAX80) and AX4200 Mesh system (CBK753), which is the better route? 

Both are cable modem/routers. The CAX80 is a modem/router with no extra wifi sources. The CBK753 is an Orbit modem/router. It comes with two satellites. The CBK 752 has just one satellite. Do you need two satellites?

-Should I just get rid of R6700?

Probably.

It is an old (2014) router that predates Mesh technology. You can add it in AP mode to any router, but if you want a Mesh system, it will not give that with the CAX80. It would be redundant with the Orbi system.

You asked about those two options. Have you really set your heart on those?

In general, experienced users like to separate modem from router. That gives a wider choice of routers and allows you to keep the modem and change the router as technology advances.

It might be a good idea to put your needs into the Netgear product pages:

Wireless Routers for Home | NETGEAR

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
microchip8
Master

AP = Access Point = connects using a wire to the main router to extend coverage. Most stable & performant solution. Requires a cable, though

Extender = connects wirelessly to main router and does similar things like AP. Needs good signal to the router and usually can support less devices than AP.

Bridge = bypasses the router functionality. Bridge mode is usually for router+modem combo's (called Gateways). It "turns off" the router part so you can use the device like a modem

Repeater = almost similar to Extender. It also halves the bandwidth because it needs to be in constant contact with the main router so there's back & forth exchange.

Message 2 of 5
TacoTruck247
Aspirant

Thank you! Definitely clears up a good bit of the confusion.

Bonus questions for anyone: Between an AX6000 (CAX80) and AX4200 Mesh system (CBK753), which is the better route? 

-Get CAX80, hardline to R6700 and AP with that?

-Will the R6700 be able to easily AP with the CBK753 mesh network?

-Use the CBK753 and hardline off one of the satellites on the 2nd floor?

-We'll have up to 40devices on network. So which will keep us from buffering or losing gaming quality?

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Bridge mode on most Nighthawk routers (R and RAX and RAXE series) is a Wireless Bridge mode, means that the router is turned in to a wireless client that can connect to another wireless SSID named signal and then you can connect up ethernet connected devices to the back of bridged router and get internet services here. No wifi signals are broadcast from this router that's configured for wireless bridge mode. 

Message 4 of 5

@TacoTruck247 wrote:

Between an AX6000 (CAX80) and AX4200 Mesh system (CBK753), which is the better route? 

Both are cable modem/routers. The CAX80 is a modem/router with no extra wifi sources. The CBK753 is an Orbit modem/router. It comes with two satellites. The CBK 752 has just one satellite. Do you need two satellites?

Probably.

It is an old (2014) router that predates Mesh technology. You can add it in AP mode to any router, but if you want a Mesh system, it will not give that with the CAX80. It would be redundant with the Orbi system.

You asked about those two options. Have you really set your heart on those?

In general, experienced users like to separate modem from router. That gives a wider choice of routers and allows you to keep the modem and change the router as technology advances.

It might be a good idea to put your needs into the Netgear product pages:

Wireless Routers for Home | NETGEAR

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7