Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: The 2.5 Gig port of Orbi is limiting network speeds received by the ISP Modem

musicman0725
Apprentice

Re: The 2.5 Gig port of Orbi is limiting network speeds received by the ISP Modem

The speed test on the Orbi app was 1150Mbps but speed from the RBR directly over a LAN port was around 830Mbps.  That same connection on the RBR850 consistently gets 940Mbps when using the 1GB port on the XB8 so using the switch is still a little slower with the XB8 and the 2.5g port.

Message 76 of 82
gregnauman
Apprentice

I might add my modem is an XB7. Was going to upgrade to XB8 but looks like you are using the 8. Might try it anyway. 

Message 77 of 82
musicman0725
Apprentice

@gregnauman Yeah, I have the XB8 but since you already have the same issue with the XB7 it doesn't hurt to upgrade.  If the issue is hardware, you could get lucky and not have it.  If it's software (which I think it is), I'm sure it will eventually be fixed since it seems to impact more than just the Orbi.  The XB8 also has WiFi 6E which could be nice depending on how you plan to have things configured.

Message 78 of 82
gregnauman
Apprentice

Musicman

Well I upgraded the modem to the X8. Got it home and setup, placed it in bridge mode. 

Same exact issue.

1.Plug orbi into the X8 2.5 gig port orbi app gets 1441 down and 250 up

Anything plugged into the Orbi ethernet ports goes initially to 900 and then tapers to 150. Upload is fine at 250

2.Plug orbi into the X8 1 gig port orbi app gets 964 down and 250 up

Anything plugged into the Orbi ethernet ports goes to 945 up and 250 down

3. Wifi speeds are a sustained 650-800 either way.

Message 79 of 82
bullm00n
Luminary

Makes you wonder what the problem is - my XB7 and 960 do not have this issue.  Seems more commonly reported with the XB8, but I wonder if later versions of the XB7 have it and whatever "that" is has carried over into the XB8.  Our XB7 is probably two years old.  If that's the case, it may be a hardware compatibility problem in that I'd assume our XB7s are running the same firmware.  Mine says:

bullm00n_0-1714932332572.png

I do hope it gets sorted because certainly at some point we'll probably get pushed toward an XB8 or whatever comes next.

Message 80 of 82
musicman0725
Apprentice

@bullm00n my firmware is the exact same as yours except it is CGM4981COM_6.7p14s1_PROD_sey.  

@gregnauman wifi speeds on the RBR850 weren't impacted when using the 2.5GB port on the XB8, but WiFi over satellites was a little slower when using the XB8 2.5mGig port likely due to the reduced LAN speeds (closer to 500Mbps instead of 700Mbps).  My satellites are connected with ethernet backhaul, so that may be why.  Since the same behavior happens on my 2.5GB switch I'm thinking this is xfinity's issue.  I also saw a similar thread posted on the eero reddit about reduced speeds with the XB8 despite the network being connected over ethernet.

Message 81 of 82
gregnauman
Apprentice

@musicman
Yep mine was the same. Also using ethernet backhaul.

Also my XB7 was at least 3 years old but I think most likely 4-5 years old.

Message 82 of 82
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 81 replies
  • 32 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7