× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NETGEAR Orbi (Latest Gen) 970 Series Quad-Band WiFi 7 Mesh Network System

Bobman63
Guide

NETGEAR Orbi (Latest Gen) 970 Series Quad-Band WiFi 7 Mesh Network System

I hooked up my new NETGEAR Orbi (Latest Gen) 970 Series Quad-Band WiFi 7 Mesh Network System. When I installed the unit it updated the firmware automatically.  My home is 7200 sq ft. I have the router on the main floor, it is supposed to cover 10,000 sq ft. I placed the first satellite in the theater on lower floor, as the crows flies its 60 feet away.  It is showing a weak signal and the other one in the back bedroom of the home same floor has an excellent signal. My disappointment is as I move on the same floor to different locations, say the kitchen 70 ft away it reads 200-500 mbps. Right above next floor in the Salon I get 200-250 mbps. I just purchased another satellite to try to help it. But I am not completely thrilled, is there a way to balance out the signal strength throughout the home? I will install the 3rd satellite today hoping for the best.

Bobby

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: NETGEAR Orbi (Latest Gen) 970 Series Quad-Band WiFi 7 Mesh Network System

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You'll want to try different locations throughout the home. sometimes things in the walls (think hvac, foil lined insulation, etc) or applicances can block signal. so moving laterally/changing distance can help. I usually try several different setup locations to see how well it works. I'd also advise testing your speeds with a wired device on each satellite. Each wireless device might have different speeds and so a hardwired devices to the satellite will give you the most realistic speeds. 

Any chance you have ethernet throughout the home? A hardwired backhaul really makes these devices sing. 

Message 2 of 10
Bobman63
Guide

Hardwired one of the gets 1.1 gig the other gets 80 mbps plugged directly into the router with new cable I had an IT guy working on it, but no luck any ideas? You can see on the desktop running speedtest.net and fast.com flash 800+ mbps for an fraction of a second  then immediately drop back top 80mbps. We are going to move some around today but I would think with wifi 7 inside the 7200 sq ft house that would be unnecessary. That was my hope.  Most all in home is wireless except the 2 desktop computers. House is 30 years old so no current tech in the walls

Your thoughts

Bobby

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

All the satellites are hardwired into the router?

Message 4 of 10
Bobman63
Guide

No they are not there are no wires to hook to. I did not think that I would need them with a 10,000 sq ft umbrella. With a $3000.00 + investment. I guess I didn't realize that satellites need hard wired as well. I thought that was the purpose of the satellite.

Bobby

Message 5 of 10
Bobman63
Guide

With that idea then, any much cheaper 800.00 bestbuy system would work if you could hardwire them. 

Bobby

Message 6 of 10
plemans
Guru

@Bobman63 wrote:

No they are not there are no wires to hook to. I did not think that I would need them with a 10,000 sq ft umbrella. With a $3000.00 + investment. I guess I didn't realize that satellites need hard wired as well. I thought that was the purpose of the satellite.

Bobby

You don't need to hardwire them. Its not a "need". Its just a potential if you had that. 

so take the one satellite thats getting lower speed and test it in the same room as the router to see if its a distance/obstruction issue or an issue with the satellite

Message 7 of 10
Bobman63
Guide

Update

I ended up buying another Satellite which is 3 now with the router for a total of 4. It still has a few spots in the house that are a little slower around 300 mbps here and there. I can walk ten steps forward and get 900 mbps. I am glad I went with this System, but I really don't understand the mesh bad spots. There is mostly good wifi coverage throughout the home now for which I am thankful. I was able to run a cable to the last Satellite I purchased and that really seems to be the ticket.

All in all, I would say this is a good investment for a large home 7200 sq ft or more with thick walls and several floors. I will give this product 4 1/2 stars.

Message 8 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

@Bobman63 wrote:

Update

I ended up buying another Satellite which is 3 now with the router for a total of 4. It still has a few spots in the house that are a little slower around 300 mbps here and there. I can walk ten steps forward and get 900 mbps. I am glad I went with this System, but I really don't understand the mesh bad spots.

Thick walls/floors can cause issues with degraded signals. 5ghz and 6ghz don't have as much interference from other signals but they do drop speeds quicker with obstructions and distance. And things in walls like hvac/plumbing/tiles/etc can cause reduced signals. That could be why you're getting 300 and then bouncing back up to 900mbps 10 ft later. 

Most phones aren't going go to switch from one satellite to the next if they drop from 600mbps to 300mbps because most services don't even use that much bandwidth. So, their protocols don't have them switch until it drops below a certain point that users might start noticing. Otherwise, they might "hop" to much and cause drops. 

For the most part, 300mbps will be way more than a roaming device will need. For example, streaming 4k only takes 25-40 mpbs. So even streaming shows/gaming, your 300mbps will saturate the phone with more than it needs. The only time its really needed is when people are moving large files around and then you'll see a benefit (like downloading a large game, which most devices don't do while roaming around a whole lot)

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7