× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Firmware Version 10.7.0.10 keeps issuing DNS queries for router's host name

lippard
Aspirant

Firmware Version 10.7.0.10 keeps issuing DNS queries for router's host name

Since recently upgrading to firmware 10.7.0.10, the WAX620 keeps issuing repeated DNS queries for its host name -- the default host name, not the name assigned by DHCP.  The default host name doesn't exist in DNS, but it's issuing two A queries and two AAAA queries every two minutes. This behavior was not occurring in firmware V10.6.1.1 and it's very annoying.

Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: Firmware Version 10.7.0.10 keeps issuing DNS queries for router's host name

Most DHCP Option Codes are ignored on the Netgear DHCP clients, similar to most dhcpcd in the field. I tend to guess the WAX620 OEM had implemented a small subset of these, Netgear has streamlined the code in the meantime.

A useful set of DHCP option codes would list would be about these: 

Option Code, Short Name: Option Description
2, Time Offset: This option specifies the offset of the client's subnet in seconds from Coordinated Universal Time
12, Hostname: This option is used to set the “hostname” portion of a node’s Fully Qualified Domain Name. (FQDN)

15, Domain Name: This option is used to carry the “domain” portion of a node’s Fully Qualified Domain Name. (FQDN)

26, Interface MTU: This option informs the client of the MTU they should configure for their interface.

42, NTP Servers: This option carries the NTP servers used on the network.

Most of it can indeed be configured on the Netgear WAC5xx and WAX6xx, some of it on the Netgear Essential Wireless WAC2xx and WAX2xx - but not assigned from the DHCP options. That's why you find the default config DNS queries in your other applications system logs.

Message 2 of 4
lippard
Aspirant

I don't see what in your response says what might have changed between this version and the previous to cause this behavior, what configuration options in the WAX620 might change the behavior, or how I might resolve this issue.

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@lippard wrote:

I don't see what in your response says what might have changed between this version and the previous to cause this behavior, what configuration options in the WAX620 might change the behavior, or how I might resolve this issue.

As I wrote, it's just my guess. Very likely nothing you can do changing the WAX620 dhcpcd behavior - to my knowledge, Netgear does not support DHCP Options 

2, Time Offset: This option specifies the offset of the client's subnet in seconds from Coordinated Universal Time
12, Hostname: This option is used to set the “hostname” portion of a node’s Fully Qualified Domain Name. (FQDN)

15, Domain Name: This option is used to carry the “domain” portion of a node’s Fully Qualified Domain Name. (FQDN)

26, Interface MTU: This option informs the client of the MTU they should configure for their interface.

42, NTP Servers: This option carries the NTP servers used on the network.

...in case this is what you are behind. 

The WAX620 for example (all WAC5xx or WAX6xx) allow the configuration of the System Name

WAC620 System Name.PNG

...which is nicely used by the embedded udhcp and requested with the DHCP request Option 12 ...

WAX620 DHCP Options.PNG

Needless to say, you need to configure the System Name on the WAX620, in my example above it's WAX620-1 - and can't depend on the DHCP supplied Host Name from the local DHCP server - with the name not configured, the default name will be there ...

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements