Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wont allow updates RBR850 with RBS850

gregnauman
Apprentice

The 2.5 Gig port of Orbi is limiting network speeds received by the ISP Modem

Basically what is going on is I had Xfinity Gigabit. I have my xfinity modem  in bridge mode and plugged into the Orbi lan port and was getting 960MB down. and the devices on my network were getting 700+ both wifi and wired. 

I have ethernet, cat 6 as backhaul, from RBS850 to RBR850.

I have an apple TV 4k wired to RBR and another apple tv 4k upstairs on the RBS. Apple TV's are both wired to each Orbi respectively and backhaul is wired

When I upgraded to Gigabit plus I discovered I didn't have the connection to the Orbi in the 2.5 Gig port. which was limiting my speed to still 960mb

As soon as I moved it to the higher speed port on the RBR I was then getting 1400mb on the orbi app speed test.

Good so far. That portion is working well and consistent.

But when I now check the speed via wifi or via my apple TVs which should be close to gig speeds they go immediately to 800mb + but then taper off and settle in at 150mb.

They will not sustain the faster speeds.

They settle in around 195mb ping is 9ms upload is at the full 42mb

Same with the wifi when either close to the router or the satellite 

NOTE: I will say today it was better wireless getting 750Mb via phone test

2013 macbook pro getting 930Mb on wifi 

Seems to be only the apple TV's at this point and they are wired direct to router and satellite with wired backhaul

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Firmware Version
V4.6.14.3_2.3.12

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Model:CGM4331COM
Vendor:Technicolor
Hardware Revision:2.0

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 

CAT6 Enhanced 550Mhz

How are you trying to update the system?

Was trying via the Orbi app but it will not update it just says no update needed

If manually, RBS needs to be updated first, then the RBR lastly:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/Procedure-for-Factory-reset-of-RBS8...

How many RBS are deployed? 

1 RBS at opposite end of home

1 RBR in basement at other end of home

What is the size of your home? 

1300sq upstairs 

1300sq downstars

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR📡 and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Message 1 of 82
FURRYe38
Guru

@gregnauman wrote:

Basically what is going on is I had Xfinity Gigabit. I have my xfinity modem  in bridge mode and plugged into the Orbi lan port and was getting 960MB down. and the devices on my network were getting 700+ both wifi and wired. 

The modem in bridge mode NEEDs to be connected to the RBRs WAN port. Not the LAN ports.

I have ethernet, cat 6 as backhaul, from RBS850 to RBR850.

Is the RBS directly connected to the back of the RBR or is there any LAN switches or patch panels in between them? 

I have an apple TV 4k wired to RBR and another apple tv 4k upstairs on the RBS. Apple TV's are both wired to each Orbi respectively and backhaul is wired

When I upgraded to Gigabit plus I discovered I didn't have the connection to the Orbi in the 2.5 Gig port. which was limiting my speed to still 960mb

You'll not see anything much over 960Mbs due to the RBRs LAN ports being only 1Gb. 

As soon as I moved it to the higher speed port on the RBR I was then getting 1400mb on the orbi app speed test.

👍

Good so far. That portion is working well and consistent.

But when I now check the speed via wifi or via my apple TVs which should be close to gig speeds they go immediately to 800mb + but then taper off and settle in at 150mb.

They will not sustain the faster speeds.

They settle in around 195mb ping is 9ms upload is at the full 42mb

Same with the wifi when either close to the router or the satellite 

NOTE: I will say today it was better wireless getting 750Mb via phone test

2013 macbook pro getting 930Mb on wifi 

Seems to be only the apple TV's at this point and they are wired direct to router and satellite with wired backhaul

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Firmware Version
V4.6.14.3_2.3.12

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Model:CGM4331COM
Vendor:Technicolor
Hardware Revision:2.0
Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop
Try option #2 first...

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 

CAT6 Enhanced 550Mhz

How are you trying to update the system?

Was trying via the Orbi app but it will not update it just says no update needed

Try manually updating the system: 

If manually, RBS needs to be updated first, then the RBR lastly:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/Procedure-for-Factory-reset-of-RBS8...

How many RBS are deployed? 

1 RBS at opposite end of home

1 RBR in basement at other end of home

Basement is not recommended places for the main router unit, RBR. Should be on main level or 2nd level. 

All that concrete and steel will cause wifi interferences and reduced wifi signal and coverage. Probably why you see some wifi reduction in performances on some devices.

What is the size of your home? 

1300sq upstairs 

1300sq downstars

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR📡 and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Message 2 of 82
gregnauman
Apprentice

Re-Read my post, i read your responses but most of what you said to do was already done. Modem is in bridge mode, first couple of sentences.

I was able to get the firmware updated.

As I stated the wifi speeds are stablized now and it seems to just be the wired Apple TV's that are going fast and then dropping off.

Also mentioned that of course I will not see anything faster than 960 because the ports are all gigabit.

Just need to find out now why the apple tv's are starting at 800-900 and then quickly tapering to 180

Thanks

Message 3 of 82
FURRYe38
Guru

"I have my xfinity modem  in bridge mode and plugged into the Orbi lan port and was getting 960MB down." Confirming that you have the modem connected to the WAN port and not the LAN port here.

If other devices are working, then something to contact Apple about regarding there product. 

Message 4 of 82
gregnauman
Apprentice

yep also in the original post, i moved it to the 2.5g wan port

"When I upgraded to Gigabit plus I discovered I didn't have the connection to the Orbi in the 2.5 Gig Wan port. which was limiting my speed to still 960mb

As soon as I moved it to the higher speed port on the RBR I was then getting 1400mb on the orbi app speed test."

Message 5 of 82
gregnauman
Apprentice

Im beginning to think its the wired connection between the RBR and the RBS. Ive got a tester Im going to test the backhaul ethernet wiring 

Message 6 of 82
FURRYe38
Guru

How is the RBS connected to the RBR? Any LAN switches or patch panels in between them? 

Message 7 of 82
gregnauman
Apprentice

No patch panels. Cat 6 as backhaul between RBR850 and RBS850.

Cat 6 from apple tv 1 to RBR850 router

Cat6 from Apple tv 2 to RBS850 satellite

Today i swapped the cables from satellite to devices to cat 6. Some patch cabls to devices were cat5e

Now on apple tv 2 connected to RBS850 sattelite il getting around 500-600mb no drop off.

Apple TV 1 will still bursts up to 600-700mb and then drops off to 150

If i put apple tv 1 on wifi not far from RBR850 i get solid 675mb

Xfinity Internet modem to RBR850 is 1.4mb speed

Im going to try testing thr cat 6 between apple tv 1 and RBR850

What speeds should i expect to get wired cat 6 to each Orbi device?
I know they are gigabit ports

Message 8 of 82
gregnauman
Apprentice

Well now mine is doing what others are reporting
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/Wired-ports-on-Orbi-show-declining-...

Starts out pulling 765 and sllwsly talers to 180 and stays there. Fully wired cat 6
Message 9 of 82
FURRYe38
Guru

With a wired PC or laptop, what speeds do you see while connected at the RBR then at the RBS? 

Message 10 of 82
gregnauman
Apprentice

I’ll test that and see. If i set the apple tv 2 which is closest to the RBR i get 800 solid on wifi. So its def something with the wired as the other guy reported.
Message 11 of 82
gregnauman
Apprentice

Well I tested the ethernet speed with a cat 6 from my MacBook pro direct to the RBR and same result. It seems to be something with the RBR when wired.

About 200mb.

If I unhook the ethernet from the mac and go to wifi I am getting 750-800mb

If I test the speed on the Orbi app, RBR to my xfinity modem, 1458mb

Message 12 of 82
FURRYe38
Guru

So of you use the ISP modem in router mode and configure AP mode on the RBR, does same thing happen? 

And the RBS and RBR are on v7 FW and you've done a full on factory reset and setup from scratch? 

Message 13 of 82
gregnauman
Apprentice

I have the Xfinity Router in Bridge mode and the RBR in router mode.

I have not done a full reset but ill try that next

Its crazy. If i test my apple TV wired to my RBS which is wired backhaul to RBR i get 700-900 down response 5-10ms. But after 2-3 seconds it drops to 150-200MB 😞
Message 14 of 82
CrimpOn
Guru

(sorry I am not familiar with Apple TV.....)

How does one test speed with an Apple TV?

Is there a function/app similar to Ookla Speed Test?

It might be helpful to verify that the ISP is not doing anything to manage the download speed.

Such as, for example, running the Speed Test function on the router in a similar way as the Apple TV speed measure.

Speed Test is on the Orbi web interface on the Advanced Tab, Setup Menu.

The Orbi 'app' is actually more user friendly because the app keeps a history of speed tests. (and the web version does not).

Message 15 of 82
gregnauman
Apprentice

Speed test app just like you can use on phone. If you read previous post you will see it doesn’t do it on wifi. Only wired ethenet. Also macbook pro laptop does the same thing when wired direct to RBR. Also posted above speed from RBR to ISP is 1400mb. Its clearly something in the router
Message 16 of 82
CrimpOn
Guru

OMG.  Would love to see a video recording of this.  i.e. The speedometer dial actually ramps up to a very large number and then falls off within 2-3 seconds and remains low until the test finishes in 13-14 seconds?  Cannot imagine anything that could cause that.

Message 17 of 82
gregnauman
Apprentice

I tried to upload a video, but it won’t let me. tell me where to send it and I’ll send it to you lol
Message 18 of 82
CrimpOn
Guru

What I usually do is save the file to cloud storage (Drop Box, Google Drive, Microsoft One Driive, etc.) then send a link to the file. using the 'link' symbol in the toolbar, such as this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqn95nk5rtqp0mj/Mailman.mp4?dl=0 

Message 19 of 82
gregnauman
Apprentice

Ok I uploaded it to YouTube. Also xfinity recently increased my upload speed to 250 from 40 for free.

As you can see upload is fine its just the download that drops off after a few seconds

https://youtu.be/fCaRlb95eRw?feature=shared
Message 20 of 82
gregnauman
Apprentice

I haven't reset yet but here is what it does when wired Cat 6 to the router ports.
Wifi speed does not drop off

https://youtu.be/fCaRlb95eRw?feature=shared
Message 21 of 82
musicman0725
Apprentice

I think you quoted my post from a different thread in your OP .  I have not tried updating to the latest RBR firmware that just came out a couple days ago, but am wondering if it resolves this issue.  I actually got a new modem from xfinity and immediately when the tech hooked it up, had the same exact behavior.  That at least rules out faulty hardware with the xfinity modem.  Since we have the same firmware version as the 860 and 960 series, I'm hopeful that this will be resolved eventually with a firmware update.  Let me know if you've tried 7.2.6.31 and what the results are.

Message 22 of 82
gregnauman
Apprentice

I didn't know a new version came out I’m at .21.

Ill install it this week and report back

Thanks for the heads up

This has me stumped for sure. Only the wired ports nothing else. Super weird
Message 23 of 82
musicman0725
Apprentice

No problem.  Yeah, it is a weird issue and I've seen people with different models (i.e. the 960) also post about it.  I updated my satellites just now to .31 but need to hold off with the router as my family will flip if I throw them offline lol.  At least the workaround is easy.  Since the RBR850 has no 2.5GB LAN ports, just use any of the other gigabit ports on your XB7 modem instead of the orange 2.5GB port.  WiFi speeds on the RBR850 will not be faster since these modems are WiFi 6 and the RBR850 has no multi-gig LAN ports.  I'll also post back after I update the router to let you know if the issue persists with the multi-gig port.  I can reproduce it easily.

Message 24 of 82
gregnauman
Apprentice

Yea when i had just gigabit speed internet for some reason I had my Xfinity modem 2.5 port plugged into a 1 gig port of the router and never had the drop off. Maybe I had done this because of issues but cant remember
I then upgraded speed and couldn't get over 1GB. It was then I realized, oh it was plugged into the wrong port. Soon as I moved it to the multi gig port i was able to get the faster 1.4 Gig speed but then i had the drop off problem with anything plugged into the router ports. Wifi has been fine.
I finally tested it with a laptop connected direct to the Orbi router and sure enough it seems to be an Orbi router problem IMHO.
Message 25 of 82
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 81 replies
  • 32 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series