× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas DUO v1 and Readynas 212 - installing Logitech Media Server

Birdseed007
Follower

Readynas DUO v1 and Readynas 212 - installing Logitech Media Server

Why can't it just be easy???

So I have been using a Readynas Duo V1 with LMS and my various Squeezebox devices for years. Unfortunately it seems as if the BBC have done something which has buggered up our ability to listen to BBC radio in recent months. I think it now requires me to run a newer version of LMS than my ageing NAS can handle... Readynas Duo is currently running RAIDiator 4.1.16 and LMS 7.9.2. I'm unable to see the third party plugins anymore in LMS due I think to the fact my device is running PERL 1.3 and from readung forums I think the BBC Sounds app requires Perl 2.0 or above. The BBC SOunds app seems to be the key to getting the BBC music stream back on to these old Squeezeboxes.

However all is not lost, I also have a Readynas 212 using an ARM processor and running 6.10.8 firmware. So my plan was to install LMS on that. LMS Media Server NT 7.9.0 shows up in the list of available apps via the Netgear service interface/browser but when I tried to install it I Got the message "Cannot Install application Logitech Media Server NT"

So I went hunting for a more up to date version of LMS and found it at the github repository

So I downloaded the Debian Installer package ARM 8.3.1 on my Windows 10 PC and tried to upload it via the web service interface of the Readynas 212 but got the same error...

So what am I doing wrong? What do I need to do to 'fix it' and can somebody help me get the flipping BBC back??

I would be very grateful for some expert help (in layman's terms!! This server stuff boggles my mind...)

Oh and one final question. My original Readynas DUO has two 2xTB drives in Raid configuration housing my locally ripped CD library in FLAC. I do play these tracks but the newer Readynas 212 has 2x 6TB drives which are mostly used for video and photo storage. I'm lacking space on there to put my music collection as well so I was wondering if I can just buy a £50 2xTB offboard USB drive and plug it into the back of the 212 as a repository for my FLAC tracks???

As I said I'd be very grateful for any help in getting this all working again. I'm the kind of guy who doesn't like to mess with this stuff once I have a working configuration hence me still running with my old server quite happily until the BBC decided to mess everything up!!

Best wishes,

Saxon

Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Readynas DUO v1 and Readynas 212 - installing Logitech Media Server

@Birdseed007 wrote:

Why can't it just be easy???

So I downloaded the Debian Installer package ARM 8.3.1 on my Windows 10 PC and tried to upload it via the web service interface of the Readynas 212 but got the same error...

All ReadyNAS are now running deprecated versions of Linux.  This thread has info on what you need to do on the RN212:

Posts 1 and 37 are the most useful.

Not sure if that is enough, as I don't use LMS myself.  Over time it will become harder and harder to install/update apps on the RN212.  Personally I think a better long-term plan is to run LMS on a PC (keeping the media on the NAS, at least for now).

@Birdseed007 wrote:

I do play these tracks but the newer Readynas 212 has 2x 6TB drives which are mostly used for video and photo storage. I'm lacking space on there to put my music collection as well so I was wondering if I can just buy a £50 2xTB offboard USB drive and plug it into the back of the 212 as a repository for my FLAC tracks???

You could (assuming you mean a 2 TB drive).  Though if you don't have a backup for your data, then you'd be better off getting a larger drive and use it to back up the RN212 as well.  RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe, so if you don't have a backup you are risking loss of your personal photos and videos.

Once you have a backup plan in place, you can switch the RN212 to run JBOD (two 6 TB volumes), or alternatively purchase two larger drives to expand the RN212 capacity.  Expansion of the RAID-1 volume (say to 2x12TB) is easier, but of course you would need to spend more.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements