Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R800 Plex Remote Access not available outside of network

themofoman
Aspirant

R800 Plex Remote Access not available outside of network

Hello, I'm having issues with my Plex server on my Nighthawk X6 R8000.  It was setup and located in another place and had remote access.  But when I brought it home and connected it to my Nighthawk X6 R8000, I lost remote access.  My firmware is V1.0.4.84_10.1.84.  I saw another post relating to 2019 when in version 1.0.4.46 the Upnp was broken and to roll back to Version-1-0-4-28 would restored the functionality.  I don't know if it was fixed after version 1.0.4.46.  I can see it in V1.0.4.84_10.1.84 but don't know if it's working.  I'm just trying to figure this out and any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: R800 Plex Remote Access not available outside of network

1. you mean the R9000? 

2. you have it connected to the r8000? Is the r9000 in access point mode then? 

3. what gateway is connected to the r8000

Message 2 of 11
themofoman
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.  I don't have a R9000, I have the R8000.  It is connected to an access point but I don't think that's a problem.

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

The r8000 doesn't have a built in plex server. 

So what's running as your plex server? 

What is it connected to? 

what modem/gateway is the r8000 connected to? 

Troubleshooting Remote Access | Plex Support

Message 4 of 11
themofoman
Aspirant

Sorry, I have a server that I'm running Plex server on with the OS Ubuntu.  And it's plugged into a switch (not access point) that's connected to the R8000.  It was pulled into a switch where it was configured before I brought it home and had remote access .  When I brought it home the remote access is not available port 32400.  Thanks for having patience with me.

Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

what modem/gateway is the router connected to? 

did you try the troubleshooting from plex? That's going to be key is finding out what steps you need for remote access

Message 6 of 11
themofoman
Aspirant

I don't know the brand or model but it's gig fiber.  I've tried troubleshooting but to know avail.  I've set a static IP on the router.  I figured since it worked before on another system, just bringing it home and connecting it would be easy.  I do IT but not networking.  I know a little but my boss set it up.  Do you think the Upnp be the issue?  I attached a picture from the R8000. 

Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

@themofoman wrote:

I don't know the brand or model but it's gig fiber.----Pretty easy to walk over and look at the gateway to get the model. Plex doesn't play nicely with double nat's.   I've tried troubleshooting but to know avail.  I've set a static IP on the router.----if done incorrectly, that can cause issues.   I figured since it worked before on another system, just bringing it home and connecting it would be easy.---you'd think but they're more than likely different setups and it isn't just a plug and play sometime.   I do IT but not networking.  I know a little but my boss set it up.----he might be a good one to ask if he setup your plex server. Finding out what settins he used and changes will be crucial  Do you think the Upnp be the issue?----it always could be. We can't 100% rule it out.   I attached a picture from the R8000. 

so what is your actual setup at home and how is the router connected? 

So 

Gateway:  

Router:

was there a 2nd router? What is it?

How is it wired/setup? Is the 2nd router in access point mode? 

What router/switch is the plex server connected to

Does the plex work at home?

Message 8 of 11
themofoman
Aspirant

I don't know the brand or model but it's gig fiber.----Pretty easy to walk over and look at the gateway to get the model. Right, I would've had to get a ladder because of where it's located.  Called my provider and it's a Mikrotik Hex.  Plex doesn't play nicely with double nat's. From what my provider told me provider it's not Double NAT.

I've tried troubleshooting but to know avail.  I've set a static IP on the router.----if done incorrectly, that can cause issues.  I wasn't working prior to setting a static IP.  I've tried it both ways since setting it. 

I figured since it worked before on another system, just bringing it home and connecting it would be easy.---you'd think but they're more than likely different setups and it isn't just a plug and play sometime.  I figure different router correct? 

I do IT but not networking.  I know a little but my boss set it up.----he might be a good one to ask if he setup your plex server. Finding out what settins he used and changes will be crucial  He's been trying to help but he's very busy right now. 

Do you think the Upnp be the issue?----it always could be. We can't 100% rule it out.   I attached a picture from the R8000.

so what is your actual setup at home and how is the router connected? 

Gateway: Mikrotik Hex

Router: R8000

was there a 2nd router? What is it? D-Link DIR-860L router turned into an access point but it's plugged into the switch and should be out of play for the Plex server because the switch is plugged into the to the R8000 correct?

How is it wired/setup? Is the 2nd router in access point mode? Plex server is connected to the switch which is connected to the R8000. Yes, 2nd router (D-Link DIR-860L) is in access point mode connected to the switch.

What router/switch is the plex server connected to - NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch

Does the plex work at home? Yes, I have access to the Plex server at home. I can connect to it to watch things also VNC and WinSCP to upload content)

Plex server is in a Silverback WS Raid / Raid Array

Thanks

Message 9 of 11
plemans
Guru

The mikrotik is a router. 

https://mikrotik.com/product/RB750Gr3

Which makes this more challenging. 

Try connecting the plex to t he mikrotik and see if it works. 

If it doesn't, its something with the gateway blocking services. 

Message 10 of 11
themofoman
Aspirant

That's what I saw when I search it...that it's a router.  I called my provider and I knew the person that answered this time.  He had a Plex server a while back and he forced the 32400 port to be open.  He said it wasn't closed but forcing it open should fix it.  I will try it when I get home.

Try connecting the plex to the mikrotik and see if it works.  I asked him about that and he said it could work.  I'll need to connect a keyboard, mouse and display to the server to get the IP address but if the first option doesn't work I'll give it a try.  Thanks

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7