× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Extending WiFi to Construction Site

jimothy
Aspirant

Extending WiFi to Construction Site

Extending Internet out to Construction Jobsite.

For our jobsite we had ordered security cameras for the jobsite.  The furthest camera is about 250' away from the WiFi router.  My co-worker had ordered (2) Orbi Outdoor WiFi Range Extender (RBS50Y) and i was given the task to figure out how to get the cameras connected.  I was able to get the wifi to extend out the cameras with good signal, however, the internet speed i was getting was approximately 1Mbps.  With that the speed the cameras will not work.  

The router we currently have is a Linksys EA6350 and we have about 10 people running devices on the internet throughout the day.  

I need to find a way to keep the internet speed up as i extend the Wifi.  Do I need a different product or something additonal to improve the actual speed of the internet as i extend it?  My general knowledge on this topic is pretty minimal. 

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Extending WiFi to Construction Site

So here's the question. How is it setup?

are you going 

Linksys------->RBS50Y------>RBS50Y  

or

RBS50Y<------Linksys------>RBS50Y

The RBS50Y's will daisy chain fine when running off an orbi router. In extender mode, they function similar to how a standard extender functions. 250ft is also quite a bit of area to cover. Especially if there's obstructions in the way. In my experience, construction equipment tends to block signals very well. 

The other issue is you don't want the extenders at the furthest reaches of the wifi. you want it at the mid-point or its not getting a good enough signal to re-broadcast. 

Another consideration is are you using the extenders in mesh mode (single ssid)? If so, make one of the extenders to have a unique ssid. If they're running in extender mode, they can have issues if they're connecting to each other and not back to the router. When they're running off an orbi router, its not something you need to worry about. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

So here's the question. How is it setup?

are you going 

Linksys------->RBS50Y------>RBS50Y  

or

RBS50Y<------Linksys------>RBS50Y

The RBS50Y's will daisy chain fine when running off an orbi router. In extender mode, they function similar to how a standard extender functions. 250ft is also quite a bit of area to cover. Especially if there's obstructions in the way. In my experience, construction equipment tends to block signals very well. 

The other issue is you don't want the extenders at the furthest reaches of the wifi. you want it at the mid-point or its not getting a good enough signal to re-broadcast. 

Another consideration is are you using the extenders in mesh mode (single ssid)? If so, make one of the extenders to have a unique ssid. If they're running in extender mode, they can have issues if they're connecting to each other and not back to the router. When they're running off an orbi router, its not something you need to worry about. 

Message 2 of 4
jimothy
Aspirant

The way I have it set up is    Linksys------->RBS50Y------>RBS50Y. 

And both RBS50Y are set up in extender mode so i see why that is the issue.  Thank you for you answer, I found that very helpful and straigh forward.   

I am thinking I will order an Orbi Router so i can set the RBS50Y in Mesh mode.  Do you have a suggestion as to what router I should order?

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

I would go with the RBR50 at least. Reason why is the RBS50Y has the full 1733mbps backhaul same as the RBR50. If you go with the RBR20-40, you get the 866mbps backhaul. For video streaming, the wider backhaul is going to be beneficial. 

Nice thing about going with a full orbi setup, is its easily expandable if needed. 

Is the Linksys in a work trailer? many of those are tin/metal sided and can block signal as well. Metal is excellent at blocking wifi

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements