× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Small Church Network

cp_dewitt
Aspirant

Small Church Network

I'm trying to set up a small network for a church.  it will have three WAC510's connected to a GS116Ev2 switch all connected to a Comcast gateway something like this.  It will have one private and one guest VLAN.

Network diagram.jpg

I have several questions.  I'd like to set up two address ranges (private, guest) for DHCP servers on the WAC510's. 

Do they need to be part of the 10.1.10.x network or could I make them 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x?

How should I set up the tagging and PVID's for ports 1 to 4 on the switch?

Should I set up a third management VLAN or can I just use the private one?  I'll have management over WIFI disabled so I could just plug into an unused port on the switch.

Thank you,

Chris

Message 1 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Re: Small Church Network

Hello Chris,

If you have an old NAT router at hand you can configure a dedicated VLAN on the switch, with a dedicated IP subnet for serving the guest network, and a dedicated SSID.

-Kurt 

Message 2 of 8
cp_dewitt
Aspirant

Kurt -

Thank you but i don't have a NAT router, what I have is the hardware you see above.  This hardware will handle multiple VLAN's and the WAC510's can act as DHCP servers for each of the VLAN's they're set up for.  I'm just trying to understand what address ranges I should set up for these DHCP servers.

Message 3 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Haven't used a multi-VLAN and DHCP config on the WAC510 for a longer time. When I remember right, it was possible to add more DHCP subnets and VLANs with a few clicks on the LAN side. Use one WAC510 as a router with the WAN pointing to the Internet connection.

Message 4 of 8
cp_dewitt
Aspirant

The WAC510 has 2 radios and each can have 4 VLAN's (total of 8VLAN's).  Each of these can have its own DHCP server where you can set an address range and mask.  Some traffic will be get its IP address from the WAC510's but some will get it from the Comcast DHCP server because they're Ethernet connections to the GS116.  Comcast will assign a 10.1.10.xxx address. I'd like to have a full 254 address range for my two WIFI VLAN's.  If I set up the WAC510 DHCP's to assign 192.168.1.xxx, can a WIFI device 192.168.1.7 access the printer with an address 10.1.10.3 or is this not a problem?

Thank you

Message 5 of 8
schumaku
Guru

One WAC510 will become a router, and that's the WAN port connected to whatever makes up the Comcast device LAN. Everything else goes to a dedicated network, covering 1...4 VLANs and different IP subnetworks and DHCP ranges.  be carefur not to mix up or become confused about the private IP subnetworks.

Message 6 of 8
cp_dewitt
Aspirant

Schumaku

Thank you, I'm planning on using one WAC510 (WAC_A) in router mode with the WAN port connected to the Comcast gateway and the LAN port connected to a switch.  The other two WAC510's (WAC_B, WAC_C) WAN ports also connected to the switch.  The problem I'm having now though is I log into WAC_A and change it to router mode and then I can no longer log into it.  I can see it's IP address on the Comcast gateway but I can't log in unless I do a factory reset but that doesn't work.  If I leave it in AP mode and try to go through the settings I fill in some in the form, hit Apply and it takes several minutes to come back.  The last time I tried when I hit Apply it never did come back.  I'm wondering if these are working or what?

Also, if I set a static IP address, is that for the WAN port or the LAN?  Don't they need to be different?

This is taking a long time to get up and running.  The church is a half hour drive from my home and I only get time to work on this every few weeks.

Message 7 of 8
cp_dewitt
Aspirant

Hello? Is anyone there?

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements