× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: Understanding the AirBridge

csteel
Tutor

Understanding the AirBridge

I want to setup some wireless security cameras to our garage but currently our home (base) wireless signal is out of range. The garage (target) is about 100 yards away. I have been researching the WBC502 AirBridge and it seems to be a good solution for what I need. The only problem I have is finding out the hardware I need to complete this task.

I don't know if I need one or two WBC502 to have a good wifi signal for a couple of Nest outdoor cameras. Would I need to have an AP setup in the garage as well or does the WBC502 output a wifi signal?

Current Home Network:

• ARRIS Surfboard - Cable Modem
  • TPLink Archer C7 - Wireless Router

Here is what I think I need to set up an extend network from home to garage (100 yards away).

Home Network:

• WBC502 - Setup as a master. Connected to Archer C7 via ethernet.

Garage:

• (2) Nest Outdoor Cameras (Wireless connection)
  • WBC502 - Setup as satellite.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Model: WBC502 Insight Instant Wireless AirBridge
Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

The WBC502's don't rebroadcast so something would need to connect to the 2nd wbc502 to broadcast the signal to the cameras. 

So you'd need to go:

Arris--->tplink archer--->WBC502--------------->WBC502----->wireless access point---->camera's. 

Message 2 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Go with two AirBridge as suggested by @plemans . While there is a short range 2.4 GHz wireless AP for local management only, you need to add a local AP in the garage.

Some alternate approach to a wireless bridge set-up could be pulling in a fiber, and a friendly fiber installer to splice on the wall-connectors 8-)

Message 3 of 12
csteel
Tutor

Thanks @plemans! Super helpful. Also, the WBC502 has to have a minimum of two (master & satellite) devices for it to work. You can't just use one to blast a signal up and connect that signal to a seperate AP?

Message 4 of 12
schumaku
Guru

You could use just one and an AP. However, for the usage with surveillance video streaming, I would avoid sharing an AP radio for concurrent front end streaming (cameras) and backhaul (wireless link) - because this will happen sequentially, and not in parallel.

Message 5 of 12
csteel
Tutor

Thanks@schumaku !

Do you all have any recommendations for a particular AP in my scenario?

Message 6 of 12
plemans
Guru

Most of netgear routers have an access point mode as well as many of its extenders to as well (not all).

I'd look at what you're using it for bandwidth wise and choose something that meets your needs. In AP mode, many features are disabled so as long at it meets your goals for wifi coverage, you should be good. 

Message 7 of 12
schumaku
Guru

@csteel wrote:

Do you all have any recommendations for a particular AP in my scenario?

Not a secret, I'm coming from a different networking world. remember my hint ref using a pair of fibers 8-) Consumer routers often don't make any reasonable access point, don't play the dedicated guest and IoT wireless network game at all (even if they do in router mode, or in the context of a consumer Mesh system like Orbi.

Basically, any AP does the job. But it depends where you want to go to...

Tell us a little bit more about your accommodation, your house, your garden, your condo, your property, your farm, probably with B&B (Corona permitting again), ... Starting from two access points (and no more WiFi router - or simply use the ISP provided router with disabled Wireless), we're quickly coming to one or two Gigabit Ethernet switches, with some PoE capability, two or more wireless access points, regardless if the garage is covered by an AirBridge pair or a fiber link, ... look into the Netgear Insight system, it's cloud manageable switches and 802.11ac and 802.11ax (WiFi 6) where really required. Walking around your property, having WiFi VoIP calls with seamless roaming, not having to change wireless, ... 

The dream is alife!

Message 8 of 12
csteel
Tutor

@plemans& @schumaku Based on the information you have given me thus far I would expect my setup to be as followed. I don't have a large budget so I found the relatively cheap WAC104 AP that I would imagine would tie in nicely. This should be enough to handle 2 outdoor Nest Cameras wirelessly and some occasional light internet browsing via mobile devices.

Home (main internet):

• WBC502 - Setup as a master. Connected to Archer C7 via ethernet.

Garage:

• WBC502 - Setup as satellite
  • WAC104 - Access Point
  • (2) Nest Outdoor Cameras (Wireless connection)

With this type of setup would I be able to keep the same WiFi signal that is in my home since it's an access point? Similar to how a Mesh Network works?

Message 9 of 12
plemans
Guru

Should work pretty well. Only thing to keep in mind with the airbridge is they're powered with POE. I believe they come with a poe injector but I can't 100% confirm it as I haven't had one before.
There's also cheaper options out there for the distance you're going if you're interested. Simply search amazon for point to point systems.
Message 10 of 12
hnagaraju
NETGEAR Expert

WBC502 comes with a more sensitive ears (better antenna, leading better Rx sensitivity) and Tx is directiononal leading to longer range.

You can buy 2 WBC502 and configure or just buy WBC502B2.

WBC502B2 comes pre-paired at the factory,  ready to be deployed.

Message 11 of 12
plemans
Guru

Yes the WBC502 will have greatly longer range and maintain speeds better over distance. But the OP is only going 100m. 

As much as I push netgear, sometimes buying the best isn't always needed. I've never used the WBC502's so can't attest to how well they work in comparision to other point to point systems. the 1-2 I've used, seemed to work fine when used for short range. 

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements