× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAC510 Installation/advice instruction of multiple units

Cprelise
Aspirant

WAC510 Installation/advice instruction of multiple units

Hi I´m planing to buy 3pcs WAC510 for my new home but I don´t find any installation instruction/advice for a Mutiple Installation.

I was assumed I had to run LAN cable from a switch to each WAC510 but after reading a review on NerdTechy I´m confused.

As I read it NerdTechy assume that the WAC510 is "serial" connected ?

My plan was you buy: 3 x WAC510 + 1 x Prosafe Plus GS108PE and run LAN POe cable to each AP but now I´m in doubt.

Please advice me.

NerdTechy: "This access point can be used on its own, or you can connect a number of them to cover a large area. They’re designed to be very simple to install. The first access point needs two cables, one for power and one Ethernet cable that connects to your existing router or modem. If you want to use multiple access points, you only need to connect a single cable thanks to the power over Ethernet functionality that combines both into a standard cat-5 cable. However, you do need to order a special power adapter to use this functionality."

https://nerdtechy.com/netgear-wac510-review

Looking forward for some good advice

Kind Regards Christian  

Model: WAC510|Insight Managed Smart Cloud Wireless Access Point
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: WAC510 Installation/advice instruction of multiple units

Hi @Cprelise,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

NerdTechy: "This access point can be used on its own, or you can connect a number of them to cover a large area. They’re designed to be very simple to install. The first access point needs two cables, one for power and one Ethernet cable that connects to your existing router or modem. If you want to use multiple access points, you only need to connect a single cable thanks to the power over Ethernet functionality that combines both into a standard cat-5 cable. However, you do need to order a special power adapter to use this functionality."

When you purchase and unbox the WAC510 access point, it includes the access point itself, installation guide, ceiling and wall installation kit, and mounting installation guide.  Take note, there is no power adapter included.  It is because the WAC510 supports Power over Ethernet (PoE) which means you need to connect the WAC510 to a PoE switch (such as the GS108PE or GC510PP or GS110TP) in order for it to power up.  

If you do not have a PoE switch, you need to purchase a power adapter that is compatible with WAC510.  This is the part what NerdTechy implies: "The first access point needs two cables, one for power and one Ethernet cable that connects to your existing router or modem" - the first cable pertains to the connection of the power adapter to power on the WAC510 and the Ethernet cable to connect the WAC510 to the networking devices.  

You can deploy 3xWAC510.  Refer to the sample network diagram below:

From diagram above, there are 3 WAC510.  The first WAC510 (left) is configured as Base Station, the second WAC510 (upper right) is configured as Repeater, and the third WAC510 (lower right) is also configured as Repeater.  To power up the first and third WAC510, their PoE WAN port is connected to the corresponding GS110TP smart switch that supports PoE.  While the second WAC510 (upper right), a power adapter is required to power it on.

The ports connecting the firewall router and the first GS110TP will be configured as tagged ports so that it will become a trunk link.  The ports connecting the first GS110TP to the first WAC510 (left) will be configured as tagged ports as well.  Tagging the ports is needed in order to identify which VLAN the packet belongs to.  The firewall router that you will use should support VLANs .  The purpose of having VLANs is to segregate networks.  As an example, two VLANs are configured on the firewall router and the first GS110TP namely: Private VLAN and Guest VLAN.  

Point-to-Multi-Point Wireless Bridging should be configured on the first WAC510 since its the Base Station.  Then, Point-to-Point Wireless Bridging is configured on the second and third WAC510 since both are Repeaters that are wirelessly connected to the Base Station.  The ports connecting the third WAC510 (lower right) to the second GS110TP will be configured as tagged ports.  Also, both the Private VLAN and Guest VLAN should be configured on the second GS110TP. 

Kindly read pages 57-60 of the WAC510 user manual here about Setting Up a WiFi Bridge Between Access Points.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Cprelise,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

When you purchase and unbox the WAC510 access point, it includes the access point itself, installation guide, ceiling and wall installation kit, and mounting installation guide.  Take note, there is no power adapter included.  It is because the WAC510 supports Power over Ethernet (PoE) which means you need to connect the WAC510 to a PoE switch (such as the GS108PE or GC510PP or GS110TP) in order for it to power up.  

If you do not have a PoE switch, you need to purchase a power adapter that is compatible with WAC510.  This is the part what NerdTechy implies: "The first access point needs two cables, one for power and one Ethernet cable that connects to your existing router or modem" - the first cable pertains to the connection of the power adapter to power on the WAC510 and the Ethernet cable to connect the WAC510 to the networking devices.  

You can deploy 3xWAC510.  Refer to the sample network diagram below:

From diagram above, there are 3 WAC510.  The first WAC510 (left) is configured as Base Station, the second WAC510 (upper right) is configured as Repeater, and the third WAC510 (lower right) is also configured as Repeater.  To power up the first and third WAC510, their PoE WAN port is connected to the corresponding GS110TP smart switch that supports PoE.  While the second WAC510 (upper right), a power adapter is required to power it on.

The ports connecting the firewall router and the first GS110TP will be configured as tagged ports so that it will become a trunk link.  The ports connecting the first GS110TP to the first WAC510 (left) will be configured as tagged ports as well.  Tagging the ports is needed in order to identify which VLAN the packet belongs to.  The firewall router that you will use should support VLANs .  The purpose of having VLANs is to segregate networks.  As an example, two VLANs are configured on the firewall router and the first GS110TP namely: Private VLAN and Guest VLAN.  

Point-to-Multi-Point Wireless Bridging should be configured on the first WAC510 since its the Base Station.  Then, Point-to-Point Wireless Bridging is configured on the second and third WAC510 since both are Repeaters that are wirelessly connected to the Base Station.  The ports connecting the third WAC510 (lower right) to the second GS110TP will be configured as tagged ports.  Also, both the Private VLAN and Guest VLAN should be configured on the second GS110TP. 

Kindly read pages 57-60 of the WAC510 user manual here about Setting Up a WiFi Bridge Between Access Points.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
Cprelise
Aspirant

Thanks DaneA 🙂 so I´m on right track buying the Switch as well, I going to be int. to get up running.

Message 3 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Cprelise,

You're welcome! 🙂  

If ever you do not have further inquiries, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5
Cprelise
Aspirant

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos