× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAX206 fails in AP mode

icalkins
Tutor

WAX206 fails in AP mode

I returned the first WAX206 thinking it was faulty, but the replacement has the same issue. When I configure it in 'router' mode, it works fine. However, when I change the mode to 'access point', it 1. loses internet connection, 2. can't be accessed via administrator menu, 3. must be reset to restore 'router' mode. The router is connected to a Netgear Cable Modem CM1200. I have Cox coaxial cable ISP.

Message 1 of 16
Geoff-NZ
Apprentice

Re: WAX206 fails in AP mode

I beleive puting it in "access point" mode is essentially making it act as a bridge. Have you tried connecting it to your router via a LAN port rather than the WAN port? The WAN port is typically only used when in router mode.

Message 2 of 16
icalks
Tutor

Great suggestion! But unfortunately that didn't work. The router just loses internet when in access point mode. The modem shows internet is good. I've tried turning the modem and router off and on. I also reset my modem. What am I missing...
Message 3 of 16
Geoff-NZ
Apprentice

1. Is the DHCP server running on your cable modem (CM1200) as that will become the primary router once WAX206 is in access point mode?

2. Are you attempting to access the WAX206 over WiFi or cable? When troubleshooting, it is sometimes better to reduce the variables so going cable helps.

My next steps would be to cable in to the CM1200:

1. See if the DHCP server on CM1200 has allocated the WAX206 an IP address.

2. Try to connect to connect to the WAX206 from the CM1200 (remember to use https).

3. Check that DHCP server on the WAX206 is disabled, otherwise all it's clients won't have internet access as the gateway (WAX206) has no WAN to route to.

Message 4 of 16
plemans
Guru

The CM1200 is a modem only device. It does not have routing/dhcp/nat capability. A router needs to be connected to it. 

That's why the WAX works when connected in router mode but not in access point mode. 

If you're wanting the WAX to be in access point mode, then you'd need a router before it. 

so CM1200---->router--->WAX (in ap mode)

Or you can use the WAX in router mode. 

Message 5 of 16
rschilt
Guide

Hi,

I recently purchased a WAX206 and I'm having similar issues as you are having when setting up in AP Mode.

Other responses to your original ticket seem to be getting AP Mode and Bridge Mode mixed up.

Did you ever get this resolved?

Robert

Message 6 of 16
plemans
Guru

@rschilt if you start your own thread, we can help you with that as thread jumping is discouraged. 

Make sure when you post to include your full setup, the issue, what you've tried

Message 7 of 16
rschilt
Guide

I was not seeking help but wanted to assist the person that logged the original ticket. I also own a WAX206 and been doing some troubleshooting with device in AP Mode and believe I have found a solution.

Not sure what made you think I was queue jumping - just wanted to help and wanted to make sure the person was still around before wasting time entering the steps I had taken.

But nevermind - you have already scared me off this forum.

Netgear...  great products - but lousy Forum monitoring.

Message 8 of 16
Geoff-NZ
Apprentice

Hey Robert,

I admit I thought you were kind of "thread jumping" a little because you used the phrase "I'm having similar issues" rather than "I had similar issues", a minor difference I know. However, I believe it would indeed be welcome to share your solution as it might help the original requestor or another person that comes along with the same issue.

Like you, just trying to be a decent human and help where I can.

Message 9 of 16
plemans
Guru

@rschilt Not trying to discourage you from posting but when people thread jump, it gets their info confused with the OP's info. Which makes it harder to help the OP if they continue to have issues. Again, we're happy to help but just start your own thread 

Message 10 of 16
icalkins
Tutor

I appreciate the work of the community moderators here, but I'm happy to respond.  The issue was me, not the WAX206. I was going modem-to-WAX206 and trying to run it in AP mode. I was told it can't be done like that. I need to go modem-to-router-to-WAX206 if I want to run it the WAX206 in AP mode. My bad.

Message 11 of 16
rschilt
Guide

Thanks @icalkins 

I am running router (modem) => WAX206 in AP Mode.

This worked fine for me except when "Turn on Access Control" and "Block all new devices from connection" were enabled on WAX206 - the WAX206 would lock up (same as what you reported initially) which required a reboot of WAX206 for it to work again.

When this was happening my router / modem was a pfSense appliance.

I have since switched my router /modem to an IPFire appliance - with Access Control restrictions set on WAX206 and the lock up error on WAX206 does not happen.

Robert

ps: apologies to the moderators for overacting yesterday.... must be a challenge at times keeping order in the house.

Message 12 of 16
icalkins
Tutor

Just to clarify, when I say "modem" in my posts, I mean modem-only.  I do not mean modem / router.

Message 13 of 16
rschilt
Guide

Technically my setup is the same... modem (Fibre to ETH NTU) => router (IPFire appliance) => AP (WAX206).

With the setup using pfSense as the router....  I still had the WAX206 hang issue - needing a reboot to reset the connection.

Changing the router to IPFire now seems to have resolved the WAX206 hang issue.

Anyway.... the WAX206 is a great Wireless AP - and we both have working solutions. 

Message 14 of 16
icalkins
Tutor

Okay, but your set-up isn't the same as the one I was attempting.  Mine was Modem (CM1200) => Router (WAX206) in AP mode. I'm not being argumentative here, just making sure other readers see why my set-up wasn't working. I needed another router in between if I wanted to run the WAX206 in AP mode.

Message 15 of 16
rschilt
Guide

Fair enough....  all good.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements