× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAX20x Throughput Fix - Use the LAN ports for Ethernet

auger
Initiate

WAX20x Throughput Fix - Use the LAN ports for Ethernet

New here, did a quick search, didn't find the specific issue I had. 

Recently purchased a WAX206 home router to take advantage of WiFi6 in some new gear.  After setting it up as an AP I ran some speed tests to see my brand spanking new high speed throughput.  It was puzzling that I was only getting about 1/3 of what was expected.  Ran a bunch of internal tests between hosts and APs and it was still too slow.

To get to the point, moving the Ethernet cable from the WAN port to one of the LAN ports fixed the problem.  Setting the router as an AP apparently does not bridge the WAN port at wire speed.  So if you're wondering about slow speeds  in AP mode, check the Ethernet cable and make sure it's in a LAN port.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

You shouldn't need it in the lan port. It should be in the wan port. You can check your port statistics. Maybe its only linking at 10/100mbps and not gigabit. 

Did you try swapping in a different cable? Try a good quality cat 6 cable

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You shouldn't need it in the lan port. It should be in the wan port. You can check your port statistics. Maybe its only linking at 10/100mbps and not gigabit. 

Did you try swapping in a different cable? Try a good quality cat 6 cable

Message 2 of 4
auger
Initiate

Only thing changed was moving the uplink cable from the WAN port to a LAN port.

But, just to verify, I put the uplink cable back in the WAN port and ran another speed test.  Faaast speeds still.  The WAN port must have negotiated a lower link speed and got stuck there.

Thanks for the input!

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

maybe it wasn't quite pushed in all the way. 

If its working fine now, you can mark it solved so others aren't trying to fix it

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements