× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAX610 and MESH configuration

Thierry_cha
Initiate

WAX610 and MESH configuration

Hi all,

i have buy many WAX 610 for make one SSID for all acces point.

But when i try to configure it with MESH option, i see i need to pay a subscription for use MESH option !!!

Is it normal or i miss something ?

Is it possible to configure MESH Option without insight ?

Thx for your answer and sorry for my english.

Thierry

===============================================================================================

Bonjour a tous,

j'ai acheter plusieur WAX 610 pour pouvoir faire un seul reseau wifi (1 seul SSID) et je m'apercoi qu'il faut payé un abonnement pour utilisé cette fonction ?

J'ai mal lu ou alors est-ce bien le cas ? car nulle part dans les brochures ou les sites de vente il est indiqué que pour utilisée certaine fonction de la borne wifi vous etes obligé de PAYER un abonnement .

Merci de vos eclaircissements.

Cordilaement.

Thierry

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: WAX610 and MESH configuration

Satlut Thierry,

Two terms mixed up here.

Insight Instant WiFi Mesh is the ability to add additional WAC540/564/610/620/630 as extender APs creating a wireless backhaul, resp, a Mesh where the wireless attached APs can connect to the nearest WAC540/564/610/620/630 AP on the wired backhaul. To configure and manage the Instant Mesh, all APs must be Insight managed, indeed.

There is nothing that stops you from configuring the same SSID/VLAN/security (certainly PSK types) on standalone managed WAX610 VAP and enable 802.11k radio resource management (RRM) and 802.11v WiFi network management by each VAP (SSID). There are the essentials standards consumer Mesh systems are offering, too. That's where the confusion is coming from btw.

Considering the management is that much easier, and unless I'm wrong the new APs are coming with a one year free license, using Insight is definitively the preferred way for these devices. The annual costs are there, but overall Netgear Insight a big relief on the management burdens.

Regards,

-Kurt

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Satlut Thierry,

Two terms mixed up here.

Insight Instant WiFi Mesh is the ability to add additional WAC540/564/610/620/630 as extender APs creating a wireless backhaul, resp, a Mesh where the wireless attached APs can connect to the nearest WAC540/564/610/620/630 AP on the wired backhaul. To configure and manage the Instant Mesh, all APs must be Insight managed, indeed.

There is nothing that stops you from configuring the same SSID/VLAN/security (certainly PSK types) on standalone managed WAX610 VAP and enable 802.11k radio resource management (RRM) and 802.11v WiFi network management by each VAP (SSID). There are the essentials standards consumer Mesh systems are offering, too. That's where the confusion is coming from btw.

Considering the management is that much easier, and unless I'm wrong the new APs are coming with a one year free license, using Insight is definitively the preferred way for these devices. The annual costs are there, but overall Netgear Insight a big relief on the management burdens.

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 2 of 3
Thierry_cha
Initiate

Ok !!!!!

Thk for your answer, I actually thought I had to do MESH to have the same SSID on all my WAX610

So thx for the clarification i go try to configure without MESH 😉 and same SSID for ALL

Cu

Thierry

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements