Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C700V2 no longer working with Genie app. Installed NightHawk app., getting firmware out of date.

ORexxMan
Initiate

C700V2 no longer working with Genie app. Installed NightHawk app., getting firmware out of date.

Background: 

On 6/20 of this year, I got a text claiming to be from my ISP (Spectrum) reporting an outage, with a "For more infomation" link domain of spc.tm.  (I did not click on it.)  The next time I tried to go on-line, nothing worked.  I was able to get into the Genie web app, and it appeared that a factory reset had been issued remotely.  I reloaded my settings from backup, and all seemed fine.  Just now I contacted Spetrum and they said that they sent no such text message.  Looking closely at the text, it seems a bit stilted, even for Spectrum.  So I now suspect the whole incident was a hack and/or spoofing.  (Be forwarned.  Don't click on suspicious links.)

Problem:

When I went to add Genie Android to my smart home software today, I discovered that the Genie Android phone app would no longer connect to my router/modem (C7000V2), prompting my call to Spectrum.  (I don't have clear evidence of a connection with the "outage" above.)  I uninstalled Genie Android and installed the NightHawk Android app.  That app tells me that my firmware is out-of-date and that the app can't find my router/modem, even with Remote Management enabled..

Firmware:  V1.02.09

Possibly related:  Lately, my desktop computer has rebooted on it's own a couple of times.  This is the only odd behavior other than the above that I have observed.

Questions:

1 - How do I update the firmware?

2 - Do I need to get my ISP to authorize incoming connections for the NightHawk app?

3 - Has anyone else had a similar experience?

4 - Is there a way to check to see if my firmware has been corrupted?

5 - Is it possible that any of the 30 odd devices on my network have been hacked or infected?

6 - Is there a command to reboot the C7000V2 either from Windows, laptops, notepads, and/or phones.

P.S, I'm using a 1 week mechanical clock to bounce my router/moden each week.  (It gets slow otherwise.)  However, some devices have to be rebooted manually if their address is changed.  My goal is to reboot monthly using my smart home software.

Any other help or suggestions, short of replacing all my devices (LOL), would be welcome.

Thanks very much in advance. 

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 3

Re: C700V2 no longer working with Genie app. Installed NightHawk app., getting firmware out of date

There is a bug in the current iOS Nighthawk app.

Nighthawk app same "firmware not updated" when it ... - NETGEAR Communities

Note the Netgear response:

Re: Nighthawk app same "firmware not updated" when... - NETGEAR Communities

Find out more in the appropriate section for your device:

Cable Modems & Routers

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: C700V2 no longer working with Genie app. Installed NightHawk app., getting firmware out of date

@ORexxMan wrote:

Background: 

On 6/20 of this year, I got a text claiming to be from my ISP (Spectrum) reporting an outage, with a "For more infomation" link domain of spc.tm.  (I did not click on it.)  The next time I tried to go on-line, nothing worked.  I was able to get into the Genie web app, and it appeared that a factory reset had been issued remotely.  I reloaded my settings from backup, and all seemed fine.  Just now I contacted Spetrum and they said that they sent no such text message.  Looking closely at the text, it seems a bit stilted, even for Spectrum.  So I now suspect the whole incident was a hack and/or spoofing.  (Be forwarned.  Don't click on suspicious links.)

Problem:

When I went to add Genie Android to my smart home software today, I discovered that the Genie Android phone app would no longer connect to my router/modem (C7000V2), prompting my call to Spectrum.  (I don't have clear evidence of a connection with the "outage" above.)  I uninstalled Genie Android and installed the NightHawk Android app.  That app tells me that my firmware is out-of-date and that the app can't find my router/modem, even with Remote Management enabled..

Use PC web browser based apps to connect to the modems web page for any and all monitoring and management. 

Firmware:  V1.02.09

https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod...

Possibly related:  Lately, my desktop computer has rebooted on it's own a couple of times.  This is the only odd behavior other than the above that I have observed. Someting to check out on your PC. Scan for infections and do maintenance. 

Questions:

1 - How do I update the firmware? ISPs handle FW updates. Users can not. Some ISP will no update user owned modems.

2 - Do I need to get my ISP to authorize incoming connections for the NightHawk app? No.

3 - Has anyone else had a similar experience? 

4 - Is there a way to check to see if my firmware has been corrupted? No. 

5 - Is it possible that any of the 30 odd devices on my network have been hacked or infected? Possible. You would need to check these devices for infections. 

6 - Is there a command to reboot the C7000V2 either from Windows, laptops, notepads, and/or phones. Users can reboot the modem from the modems web page. ISP I believe can trigger a reboot as well from there side, only when needed. 

P.S, I'm using a 1 week mechanical clock to bounce my router/moden each week.  (It gets slow otherwise.)  However, some devices have to be rebooted manually if their address is changed.  My goal is to reboot monthly using my smart home software.

Modems shouldn't need to be rebooted or power cycled regularly, if it does there there is a problem else where. Modems and routers are designed to remain online 24/7

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7