Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CAX80 and slow downloads with Xbox Series X|S

Dohness
Aspirant

CAX80 and slow downloads with Xbox Series X|S

I just picked up a new CAX80 earlier today, this is the first time for my personally to use my own modem with my ISP (Spectrum) in probably 10+ years.

However, after getting everything online and configured I've noticed with both my Xbox series consoles I'm getting extremely slow download speeds both via Wi-Fi and ethernet.

I have a series S console connected via the 5ghz that is showing IPv4 only with open NAT but is unable to achieve a download speed greater than 6.72Mbps, while still getting the full upload speed of 35Mbps. UPnP is on and shows active for the IP and port.

I have a series X console that is connected via ethernet direct to the modem with the same IPv4, open NAT, but is only getting between 2Mbps and 4Mbps down and still getting the upload of 35Mbps.

I'm fairly new to the Netgear router interface so I'm unsure if enabling port forwarding would help either device or how to properly enable it. I have ensured that IPv6 is set to DHCP Server and Automatically from ISP.

Additional info, my desktop is also showing an IPv4, but is able to hit 800+ Mbps (1 gig service) and consistently keep at or above 30 Mbps upload. This issue appears to be isolated to the Xbox consoles specifically. 

Any and all support greatly appreciated. 

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CAX80 and slow downloads with Xbox Series X|S

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.

Do other devices wired and wireless have good download speeds?

Does your ISP support native IPv6 protocol? If not, I would disable IPv6 on the modem. 

How far away is the modem from the game consoles? 

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try and disable AX mode on the Modem as well to test. 

Do you have Armor or SPC enabled? 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is loaded on the CAX80? 

How is the Basic and Advanced wireless settings configured? 

If other devices are getting to spec speeds and the Xbox consoles are now, may be something to check with MS support about regarding there products. 

Message 2 of 6
Dohness
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply.

"What FW is loaded on the CAX80?"

Double checked just now to ensure all updates have been applied and confirmed it is up to date and running V2.1.5.2.

"
How is the Basic and Advanced wireless settings configured?"

I'll be honest, I'm not 100% sure what you're looking for here as I am still fairly new and learning most of the advanced functions and features.

Basic Settings:
Wi-Fi security is set to WPA2-PSK [AES] (default option), "smart Connect" has been enabled to combine the 2.4 and 5 channels into one network name, guest network disabled.

Advanced Settings:

IP address set to dynamic from ISP, DNS automatic from ISP, UPnP enabled, IPv6 IP assignment is set to DHCP server (default) and IPv6 DNS address is set to automatic from ISP. Ethernet port aggregation is disabled.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.

Do other devices wired and wireless have good download speeds?

Does your ISP support native IPv6 protocol? If not, I would disable IPv6 on the modem. 

How far away is the modem from the game consoles? 

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try and disable AX mode on the Modem as well to test. 

Do you have Armor or SPC enabled? 

Message 4 of 6
Dohness
Aspirant

After completing the power cycle this appears to have mostly resolved the issue at least for the wire Xbox Series X system. When running an Ookla speed test via Bing it's now averaging speeds of 650 Mbps on the low end during peak traffic times, and about 900 - 980Mbps during non peak times.

The Series S console on the Wi-Fi 5Ghz has seen a speed increase, but is still below what I would consider ideal (averaging between 100 and 180Mbps). But is far more stable and reliable. 

Bit of an embarrassing moment I didn't think of this having spent 5+ years troubleshooting modems for an ISP 😅.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Xbox wifi radios are not well known for being the greatest. Why mine is ethernet connected. 

Glad it seems to be working better for ya.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7