Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1000-1AZNAS: IPv6 Setup?

sophormoon
Aspirant

CM1000-1AZNAS: IPv6 Setup?

The Netgear Genie screen I am able to access does not seem to offer an option to setup IPv6 even though my cable company supports it.  Under advanced, I have options to reset or reboot the router, as well as change the password.  The basic tab offers modem status, but nothing for me to imput.  Can someone please help?  I see IPv6 support listed on the box.  My Google Wifi and Xbox One both offer a simple switchcm1000 router settings.JPG

Model: CM1000|DOCSIS® 3.1
Message 1 of 5
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

Re: CM1000-1AZNAS: IPv6 Setup?

CM1000 is a "bridge modem" and not a Gateway/router. It just passed all the DHCPv4/6 transactions from ISP to your Router or laptop directly.

If your ISP supports IPv6, and you connect your laptop directly behind modem, you will get a IPv6 address on your PC

If your ISP supports IPv6, and your router supports IPv6 (and delegated Prefix), you will get a IPv6 address on your PC 

you will not find an IPv6 enable/disable option on a modem.

Message 2 of 5
sophormoon
Aspirant

Thank you for being gentle with someone who obviously doesn't even qualify as a noob.

I have no idea whether the form in which my "address" is written even matters (security maybe?), but I became aware my ISP supports IPv6 and wondered why I saw no options for it.  Full understanding is likely beyond me, but this helps calm my compulsive desire to have the latest and greatest number scheme.

My ethernet cable from the modem goes directly into a single Google Wifi puck (recommended during setup) with the puck's single output to a hub where my other PCs connect.  As I mentioned, there is an option to select IPv6 on the puck and my Xbox.  Selecting it results in the display showing "IPv4/IPv6" which I gather is the "stack" method or stopgap between now and such time as IPv4 is ever left behind.

Thanks again.  

Message 3 of 5
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

options in will be in router. 

we dont support 3rd party routers but you may want to look at below link on how to enable IPv6 on Google WIFI

https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6361450?hl=en

Message 4 of 5
mark814
Aspirant

I noticed too that the modem says it doesn't support IPv6. I'm on Cox, who uses it and noticed that if I turn my VPN off and go to an IP test site it reports an IPv6 address for my connection.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7