Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problems saving new network names and passwords (CAX30 AX2700 Modem Router)

Peninsular
Initiate

Problems saving new network names and passwords (CAX30 AX2700 Modem Router)

After spending 3 hours with 2 different Netgear tech support reps I'm still having trouble, so hoping the hive mind can help. I purchased a Nighthawk AX2700 Modem/Router to replace my xfinity gateway. Setup went smoothly and I was able to get into the admin portal to change the network names and passwords from the defaults. Trying to save the changes causes the wifi network to disappear as an option to my devices. Tech support had me restart, reset, and "shock reset" the modem router and set it up all over again each time. Each time all went as expected until it came time to save changes under Wireless in admin. At this point we have wifi connectivity but I'd sure like to at least change the network password ASAP. I have tried making the changes in the admin portal via the Nighthawk app (no dice), and two Windows laptops connected to the modem router via ethernet. Tech support keeps asking me to try the same or similar processes which are clearly not working. Any ideas?
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Peninsular
Initiate

Re: Problems saving new network names and passwords (CAX30 AX2700 Modem Router)

...many weeks later, I've finally gotten around to re-addressing this problem. The Nighthawk app now seems to work for me to manage the router settings (it was basically useless during setup, not functioning as expected). I used it to change the network password to the 5GHz band, which included a special character. Same as before, I received an "incorrect password" error when trying to connect my devices to that band, despite entering it in correctly multiple times. I tried including a different special character - same thing. I then created a password with only alphanumeric characters and that did the trick. I ultimately tried incorporating 3 different special characters, one at a time, into the password (!, #, and @) and all caused a problem. This is disappointing as I'd like to make my password as complex as possible. Thanks again for your time.

TL;DR - Apparently using special characters in my network passwords does not work; I was finally able to successfully change the passwords using only alphanumeric charaters.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

When you change the ssid/password, if you do a wireless scan with something other than the built in wireless scanner in windows, does your network show up? 

What firmware is on the router? 

Are you using any special characters or spaces in the ssid/password? (If so, remove them)

Message 2 of 5
Peninsular
Initiate

Thank you for the response. I have only used the built-in wireless scan in Windows (or searched for the network name, in which case it did not show up); same with both our phones. The firmware version is 1.4.10.8. I did not use any spaces in the password but did use a special character, so I will give it a try without that character.
Message 3 of 5
Peninsular
Initiate

...many weeks later, I've finally gotten around to re-addressing this problem. The Nighthawk app now seems to work for me to manage the router settings (it was basically useless during setup, not functioning as expected). I used it to change the network password to the 5GHz band, which included a special character. Same as before, I received an "incorrect password" error when trying to connect my devices to that band, despite entering it in correctly multiple times. I tried including a different special character - same thing. I then created a password with only alphanumeric characters and that did the trick. I ultimately tried incorporating 3 different special characters, one at a time, into the password (!, #, and @) and all caused a problem. This is disappointing as I'd like to make my password as complex as possible. Thanks again for your time.

TL;DR - Apparently using special characters in my network passwords does not work; I was finally able to successfully change the passwords using only alphanumeric charaters.
Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

Sad to see that special characters cause issues but happy to see your network is working again. 

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7