Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

new system

supertide1
Aspirant

new system

Hi, I have xfinity and they are telling me my modem is outdated.  BTW coverage around the house is not good so maybe they are right. (my current situation is a  wifi cable modem router model c6300 with x6 ac2200 model 7700 tri band extender that gets internet to the detached garage)  My question is should I go with a AX6000 modem/router and add a mesh network or go with a similar modem and hook up a mesh system.  I do have a two story home and a two story garage that is 50 feet from the house.  The garage has a gym down stairs and a entertainment room upstairs.   I looked at the ax6000 with ax1800 mesh extenders and a eax80 extender to the garage.  Then my son recommended I look at a good modem with a mesh router and satellites.  Then I see that Netgear has two systems.  The Orbi quad band or the night hawk tri band.  I am so confused.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Chip

Message 1 of 7
Phyber
Luminary

Re: new system

FWIW, I have Xfinity but use my own modem (Motorola DOCSIS 3.1, which is Xfinity approved) and the Netgear AX4200 (750 router and two, 750 satellites).  Two-story house, 3500 sq.ft. The satellites are upstairs and are hardwired to the router downstairs with solid copper core, CAT-6 cabling (non-CCA/CCS). WiFi is fast and reliable throughout the house and property. I have no experience with Netgear gateways but I would certainly not use the Xfinity gateway if at all possible.

I would seriously consider hardwiring wherever you can for the satellite's backchannel.

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

If you have xfinity, don't buy a modem/router combo device. 

PIckup a stand along modem. I"d look at their devices that support the "next gen" upload speeds. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Comcast_Xfinity/wiki/knowledgebase/next-generation-internet/

Currently its the Hiltron coda, coda56 (multigig), Netgear CM3000, Netgear CBR750, and Arris g54. 

Supposedly they're working on more but those are the current ones supporting the next gen speeds. 

Then I'd pickup a mesh system for the home. 

If you can possible hardwire in the detached garage or satellites, you could go with a cheaper system like the MK nighthawk or lower priced orbi's. If you can't, then I'd be looking at the triband/quadband versions. 

Whats you're budget for this? 

Are you able to hardwire in the detached garage either with ethernet or using a MoCa adapter (ethernet over coax). 

Message 3 of 7
supertide1
Aspirant

Thank you for the info.  Unfortunately I have an older house so hard wiring would be a task.  your response helped!

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

@supertide1 wrote:

Thank you for the info.  Unfortunately I have an older house so hard wiring would be a task.  your response helped!

do you have coax ran out to the media room in the garage? A moca adapter can get you a hardwired connection out there pretty reliably

Message 5 of 7
supertide1
Aspirant

Thank you.  I will take your advice and get a separate modem and router.  The garage does have coax coming in for cable TV off the same system from the house.  But I don't think that helps anything.  I don't really have a budget in mind I just want to do it right the first time so I am willing to spend a little extra for the right product.  Right now I just have a x6 ac2200 tri-band range extender in the garage and it works pretty good.  Would a mesh system give me the same results?  There are so many options with adding wall plug ins or going with a larger mesh system.  This is where the confusion comes in I guess.  Is the Orbi system or the night hawk  system the way to go.  Will one pick up better from the garage?  I really appreciate your time and suggestions.

Thank you 

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

How big is the primary home? Does the C6300 provide plenty of coverage in the home? 

Reason I ask is if you only need 2x devices currently (router and satellite) the EX7700 is still pretty solid. 

You might be fine upgrading just the router and hardwiring in the EX7700. If you hardwire it in with a set of moca adapters, you can put the EX7700 in access point mode and its speeds will be even better. Its a pretty solid extender. 

I'd still try to hardwire in the garage with a moca adapter whether you replace just the primary router or go with a mesh system. Exterior walls are great at blocking wifi and reducing speeds.  For around $130 you can get a set of them for up to 2.5gigs. (if you get that version). That'll have plenty of speed for the future expansion. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7