Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1000 - Optimum/Altice blames speed issues on modem, won't update firmware

serobinson2
Aspirant

CM1000 - Optimum/Altice blames speed issues on modem, won't update firmware

Paying for 400 Mbps from Optimum/Altice. (It is literally our only option for ISPs at our building - I have spent three years trying to get Fios on our block or roof access for a MESH dish. Only option.) Despite paying for 400Mbps, we get 20 on a good day. This past week, the connection has frequently slowed to effectively nothing, and when we have a connection at all, it's testing at 0.3 Mbps. Slightly faster if I bypass the router, but then it's speeds of 15 during a good hour/3 during a bad. 

Optimum sent out a guy a few days ago who said our wires are fine, it must be the modem.

After that, I called a few times to ask if Optimum could update the modem firmware, as it seems to be four versions out of date. 

I've spoken to several call center people and one "level two" support person. The "level two" guy spoke very little english and did not know that router and modem were different things. Or what is firmware. It's not even that they can't/won't update the firmware. They have no clue what I am saying. I don't know how to get anyone on the phone who is even able to understand what I'm asking. They just read a script that ends with $80 for a tech to come out. Every person I've spoken with has told me something different, too, from "I can see that you're not getting anything close to the speed you are paying for," to "from what I see you are getting good speed," to "we support that modem and it's not a problem" to "we don't support that modem and unless you rent from us, no internet for you."

Do I have any options with these clowns? At all? I'm back to work on Monday. 

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
serobinson2
Aspirant

Re: CM1000 - Optimum/Altice blames speed issues on modem, won't update firmware

Well, I caved and rented the official Optimum router. This - of course - didn't fix the issue, since Optimum's line was bad, but it at least convinced them to finally replace the line to our building. As it turns out, nobody in the building had internet for close to a week, and nobody at Optimum pieced that together, since we were all calling separately to an overseas call center....

All's well that ends well? I'm honestly just super relieved to be able to work properly again. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

There a different ISP service you can use? 

Unfortuneately some ISPs don't upate users owned modems. Seems like Optimum is one of them. 

You maybe best in renting there modem, ask for a modem only unit, then connect a external router which you can control FW updates on. 

Message 2 of 6
serobinson2
Aspirant

Well, I caved and rented the official Optimum router. This - of course - didn't fix the issue, since Optimum's line was bad, but it at least convinced them to finally replace the line to our building. As it turns out, nobody in the building had internet for close to a week, and nobody at Optimum pieced that together, since we were all calling separately to an overseas call center....

All's well that ends well? I'm honestly just super relieved to be able to work properly again. 

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Sometimes ISPs gotta be shown it's there problem and not the modems. 
Glad it worked out. 

Please mark your thread and solved so others will now. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 6
serobinson2
Aspirant

Will do. Wish I had better advice for people finding this thread than "your local ISP monopoly couldn't find it's own rear with both hands and a map," but, well....

sigh.

Now I have this rental modem I have to return. And a lot of catching up after a week of wfh with no internet....

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

At least you can return the modem and continue to use the one you bought.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7