Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1000 & XR500 Latency Variation and Ping Spikes

hazyvoodoo
Tutor

CM1000 & XR500 Latency Variation and Ping Spikes

Hello!

I have just moved back from Germany to New Mexico and I have just purchased the xfinity 150 down/5 up plan. 

The main game I have been playing for close to a year is Battlefield V and while in game since connecting my XR500 and CM1000 combo I keep getting latency variation from 59-80. I get these small spikes every couple of seconds and needless to say it is very annoying getting the small studders. All my test have been done with a ethernet connection to my xbox and PC.

I have duplicated the issue with an old router Asus AC68R and the same issues occur.

I have also connected the modem (CM1000) directly to the xbox and I do not get the spikes. I get a steady ping of 72. 

Now I cannot figure out if this is a modem issue, a possible router issue, or maybe even the xbox.

I need to have my router(XR500) plugged to provide wifi for the rest of the family so any information helps.

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
hazyvoodoo
Tutor

Re: CM1000 & XR500 Latency Variation and Ping Spikes

I finally fixed it.

I returned the CM1000 (DOCSIS 3.1) for the ARRIS SB8200 ( DOCSIS 3.1) and I still had the issue.

After a little bit more digging I have been finding the newer DOCSIS 3.1 modems have their own QOS rules and can interfere with gaming routers such as my nighthawk XR500. It's a shame arris and netgear can't provide a way to disable the QOS rules on the modem''s interface.

I disabled the QOS rules completely on the DUMAOS dashboard and just like that my ping spikes were GONE!

I would love to have my qos set up again but hopefully netgear can provide some sort of firmware update to fix this issue because spending $170 on a modem and $250 on a router is  rididcioulus and I am not able to use the QOS on the XR500 now until this gets sorted out. The dumaos was the reason for purchase but at least the spikes are gone.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

72 is kind of high if your directly connected to the modem only with out the router. 

I would use PingPlotter.com and with a wired PC do some testing directly with the modem. 

Ensure there are no coax cable line splitters between the modem and ISP service box. 

Use good quality RG6 coax cabling up to the modem.

Have the ISP check the signal and quality up to the modem. 

Message 2 of 7
hazyvoodoo
Tutor

No splitters here. 

I am pinging 72ms to the Battlefield west coast server in Seattle, WA that's why it's high.

It's the ping variation from 59-120 that is killing me. I spike every couple of seconds.

I did a factory reset on the XR500 and it did not help.

I used pingplotter to do hops to the battlefield servers on xbox and google and you can see the spikes happening. This was done being connected to the XR500 hard wired.

Xfinity tech will be out tommorow to check the signals on the modem. What is mid blowing to me is that the spikes do not happen when hard wired to the CM1000 and I have tried two separate routers and still get the spikes.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 3 of 7
hazyvoodoo
Tutor

I also would like to add, that I have never had these issues before.

I purchased the XR500 in Germany and it worked perfectly there.

The new purchase is the CM1000 and I don't think it's liking any router i connect to it. 

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

You might contact NG support and file a support ticket for the XR500. IF this ping spikes don't happen with the XR in the mix, then the XR needs to be reviewed. Might post about this over on the XR forums as well. Test with current version FW and with v32 or older FW on the XR router. 

Good Luck. 

Message 5 of 7
hazyvoodoo
Tutor

I finally fixed it.

I returned the CM1000 (DOCSIS 3.1) for the ARRIS SB8200 ( DOCSIS 3.1) and I still had the issue.

After a little bit more digging I have been finding the newer DOCSIS 3.1 modems have their own QOS rules and can interfere with gaming routers such as my nighthawk XR500. It's a shame arris and netgear can't provide a way to disable the QOS rules on the modem''s interface.

I disabled the QOS rules completely on the DUMAOS dashboard and just like that my ping spikes were GONE!

I would love to have my qos set up again but hopefully netgear can provide some sort of firmware update to fix this issue because spending $170 on a modem and $250 on a router is  rididcioulus and I am not able to use the QOS on the XR500 now until this gets sorted out. The dumaos was the reason for purchase but at least the spikes are gone.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

You might contact NG support and also post about this inthe XR forum. Interesting that those modems have QOS. Would be nice if that could be disabled, however maybe DOCSIS 3.1 requires it. Something NG should be aware of. 

@vkdelta 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7