Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1150V not "found" (?) by Xfinity using CM MAC address and Serial No.

CM1150V4Xfinity
Aspirant

CM1150V not "found" (?) by Xfinity using CM MAC address and Serial No.

Hello,

My uncle just received a used CM1150V he won on eBay.

I tried to help him to activate it by going through Xfinity app to have CSR call us.

Xfinity CSR asked for and read back (to verify) both the CM MAC address and Serial No. of the CM1150V unit.  CSR said that he couldn't "find" the modem.

As such, this CM1150V cannot be activated (to replace uncle's old modem that's been having problems with synchornizing/locking the up-link and down-link (every time he'd turn it on) and would also occasionally, at least once a day, exhibits a slow (less than 3 Mbps as per speedtest.net) download throughput.

Xfinity CSR said to have seller contact Xfinity to remove his "name" from the modem and to activate with uncle's "name".  That just doesn't make any sense at all to me but maybe I'm ignorant in terms of activating used cable modems with Xfinity.

eBay seller claimed the CM1150V was last used on Xfinity in February 2021.

Before I suggest to my uncle to return it to seller, I'm looking for suggestions from the community as to what can be done to troubleshoot the CM1150V so my uncle can use it and doesn't have to return it.

What does it mean anyways when Xfinity CSR stated not being able to "find" the modem by CM MAC address and Serial No.?

I thought they just need to record the MAC address and associate with the Xfinity account to then provision the modem by sending it the proper boot file (with speed restriction, etc.)?

Is the process of activating a used cable modem really on Xfinity considered rocket science that the CSR may not know what the steps are?  We asked to speak with Supervisor.  CSR said one will call us back within 30 to 60 minutes.  That was hours ago already; we never received any call.

Is there something that Netgear has to do (in collaboration with Xfinity?) to the used CM1150V for it to become available for activation on Xfinity?

If there are documents or other threads that talk about similar activation problems, I've not found one yet.

Your expert comments and help on this matter are greatly appreciated!

I hope this is the proper category to post through.

Just realized https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/CM1150V-not-quot-found-quot-by-Xfinity-using... is the wrong category.  I'll try to delete that next.

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CM1150V not "found" (?) by Xfinity using CM MAC address and Serial No.

Log into the modems web page at 192.168.100.1 with a PC, even with it disconnected from the ISP coax line. Navigate to the Advaced Tab/Advanced Home, there you can confirm the serial # and MAC address for sure. 

Possible. Be sure the Modem is connected to the coax line and is online. Reset the modem by pressing the reset button for 10 seconds then release. Modem should be handshaking with the ISP services in the next minute or two. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Nothing NG or Forums can help with the modem activation. It's all done with the ISP. 

EIther there is a mis-reading of the MAC address, possible mis-print of the MAC address, signal on the line is bad or CSR at ISP isn't correctly checking for the MAC address. Possible there maybe a problem with the modem as well. You might try a different CSR or higher level serivce support to see if they can find this or can connect to it. 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. 
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Factory reset the modem by pressing the rest button for 10 seconds then release, 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

IF any of this fails to get the modem working on the ISP, get it returned to the seller ASAP. 

Message 2 of 4
CM1150V4Xfinity
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, @FURRYe38.

EIther there is a mis-reading of the MAC address, possible mis-print of the MAC address, ...

During the call, the Xfinity CSR read back the MAC address twice and both times matched what I read and gave to him at the beginning of the call.

Does "mis-print of the MAC address" mean the label on the bottom of the CM1150V could be wrong?  It doesn't look like it has been altered.

... signal on the line is bad or CSR at ISP isn't correctly checking for the MAC address. ...

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem.

The below is based on the mentions about "signal".

When we activated the old modem (also bought used at that time) in the past, that old modem was not yet connected to the coax cable until Xfinity Support recorded the MAC address and model and then asked for it to be connected and turned on.  That worked for the old modem.

When we called Xfinity Support yesterday, the CM1150V was also not connected to the coax cable.  The old modem it's supposed to replace was still connected to the coax cable and was in use.

Could that be the problem, i.e., when the CSR tried to "find" the modem, the process is looking for a connected modem even though it may not have been provisioned/activated?

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Log into the modems web page at 192.168.100.1 with a PC, even with it disconnected from the ISP coax line. Navigate to the Advaced Tab/Advanced Home, there you can confirm the serial # and MAC address for sure. 

Possible. Be sure the Modem is connected to the coax line and is online. Reset the modem by pressing the reset button for 10 seconds then release. Modem should be handshaking with the ISP services in the next minute or two. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7