Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

(CM500) Unstable internet, modem or ISP problem?

prettychillguy
Aspirant

(CM500) Unstable internet, modem or ISP problem?

Hey all, So I'd like some help narrowing down the source of my problem here. I just moved into a new apartment, and I was getting internet speeds that would drop to 2Mbps after 5-10 minutes of rebooting my old modem. Contacted my ISP and they told me they see no problem on their end, and though I'm still suspicious, I bought this CM500 that was on sale. The speed is fine now when it's working but internet still frequently drops really low, instead now it comes back after 5-10 seconds. It doesn't seem to completely disconnect either, it's just noticeable when videos stop loading and when I try to play any online games I will rubberband like crazy. The lights on my modem all still indicate nothing is wrong.

cableconnectionstuff.jpgcableconnectionstuff2.jpg

eventlogs.jpg

Model: CM500|16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: (CM500) Unstable internet, modem or ISP problem?

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

Message 2 of 6
prettychillguy
Aspirant

Uploading screencaps of my event log through the 'Insert Photos' method seems to just make pictures of these triangles for me. Idk how else to do it so I'll just upload each screenshot separately..

Message 3 of 6
prettychillguy
Aspirant

Message 4 of 6
prettychillguy
Aspirant

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Like @FURRYe38 says, check for splitters, attenuators, and amplifiers. You have a lot of errors inyour line and your logs reflect that. 

preferrably, move the modem to right where the coax enters the home to prevent extra wiring in the home being the issue. If that doesn't help, have the isp check the line. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7