Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cable Modems

Jeannette1
Aspirant

Cable Modems

I want to dump Mediacom cable modem.  I currently have Netgear AC1200 Router and have checked CM1000 modem.

Will it work w/separate phone modem?  Mediacom bundle phone, wi-fi & cable.  Their Cisco modem has 5 ports, ethernet to Netgear AC1200, 2 cat 5s to TV receiver, cable & power cords = 5 ports.   Netgear CM1000 doesn't have but 3 ports.  Where do I plug in the 2 cat 5s and is this modem compatible to Mediacom?  The router and modem is located near my smart cabinet and the phone modem is in my computer room.   The closet is in between the computer rm. and family room.  I'm open for suggestions.  Thank you, 

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

The CM1000 only has 1 port. That connects to a external wifi router, such as you Netgear AC1200 Router. To connect additional wired devices you should connect then to the back of the Netgear AC1200 Router. If you don't have enough ports behind the Netgear AC1200 Router, then attach a Netgear GS-108v4 series LAN switch to provide additional LAN ports:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GS108.aspx

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

The CM 1000 doesn't support any phone voice options. Just internet only. If you want a modem with phone support, I believe the CM500v and CM1150v are ones that do support phone voice with internet. Check with the ISP to see what they officially support first. 

Message 2 of 4
Jeannette1
Aspirant

Thank you for responding.  Sorry, I'm planning to keep the phone modem at this time.  My concern is not having 5 ports which my current modem has and not knowing where I can plug the 2 cat 5 cables.  Jeannette

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

The CM1000 only has 1 port. That connects to a external wifi router, such as you Netgear AC1200 Router. To connect additional wired devices you should connect then to the back of the Netgear AC1200 Router. If you don't have enough ports behind the Netgear AC1200 Router, then attach a Netgear GS-108v4 series LAN switch to provide additional LAN ports:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GS108.aspx

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7