Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can my C6300 be used as an access point on Verizon Fios?

mspuckit
Follower

Can my C6300 be used as an access point on Verizon Fios?

Hello,

I have a C6300 with Firmware V1.02.19.  I will be leaving TWC soon and switching to Verizon Fios.  Can i use this as an Access Point on the verizon network?  I don't see an actual setting to turn AP on??  Am i missing something?  I was really hoping i would be able to use this router for extending my wi-fi.

thank you,

J

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 3
netwrks
Master

Re: Can my C6300 be used as an access point on Verizon Fios?

You can turn any wifi router into an AP. Here's a link that describes generically,  modifying wireless router to AP

Message 2 of 3
TheEther
Guru

Re: Can my C6300 be used as an access point on Verizon Fios?

netwrks is correct.  To clarify the conventions used by Netgear and on this forum, an Access Point (AP) requires a wired connection (typically Ethernet or Powerline) back to the router.  This is not to be mistaken with a wireless range extender (aka repeater).  All Netgear routers can function as APs, but they make poor wireless range extenders.

For the benefit of other readers, the link provided by netwrks is what I call the old school method of converting a router to an AP.  IMO, it's a superior method than the AP Mode setting offered on some models.  The old school method sacrifices a LAN port but wired speeds are often much faster because it avoids potential bottlenecks between LAN and WAN ports.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7