Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cm1200 modem startup

Splitray
Aspirant

Cm1200 modem startup

Has anybody ever heard that once the new modem is hooked up and setup with MEDIACOM, that it can take 4-24 hours before you actually get internet service. This seems like nonsense to me?
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Cm1200 modem startup

Seems like a bit of nonsense to me as well unless they haven't hooked it up. but if they can provision it, it should happen pretty quickly. 

Message 2 of 7
Splitray
Aspirant

Well, that comment was from the NETGEAR tech guru. I bought this cm1200 modem this morning and followed the instructions by calling MEDIACOM who pinged the unit and tried numerous times to get it to quit blinking, but finally said i’ll have to call NETGEAR suppt. After two hour on the phone waiting he said it can take a day for it to settle down and pick up the up and down stream signals??? Really, i’ve had this thing for four hours and three of them I spent on the phone! Time to try ARIS?
Message 3 of 7
Splitray
Aspirant

Mediacom tech suppt is scheduled to com out Monday anyway, i guess my Netgear experience will be short lived. I think i’ll just let him put in his and i’ll keep renting?
Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

If the ISP gets it associated with there network right, it only takes a reboot that they can do from there side and after the modem reboots and back online, about 1 minute, you get internet services at that point. A power OFF of the modem for 1 minute maybe needed. Other then that, the CM modem should be onlien and working in about a minute. It's a solid good modem when ISP has things setup right and signal is good. 

Message 5 of 7
Splitray
Aspirant

Thank you gentlemen for your input in this matter. It seems that from the time the first Mediacom tech came out and the time the second Mediacom guy came out (and of course the time I tried to replace the modem with NetGear equipment), there was another issue. For some reason when the third tech came out today he all of a sudden got NO signal to my cable box!

The diligent tech backtracked the line and I showed him where it came under the road, so he dug it out and tested it at that point and had a good signal. So appearently between tech visits my line developed an open. This tech ran 300 feet of new line above ground to get me back online. I went back into the house to check the modem and it had already hooked itself up and was working.

My only unanswered question is where did the guy from Pakistan/India/Nepal get the idea that it could take 24 hours to link up?

SPLITRAY

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

Probably a "pass the buck" situation where he just wanted to get you off the phone. 

couldn't tell you without knowing them. 🙂

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7