Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cm700 and cm500 cox activation issues

Necromal
Aspirant

Cm700 and cm500 cox activation issues

I recently moved and now have cox internet. When trying to activate the router my computer doesn’t find an internet connection and cox is unable to help. They tell me it’s an issue with my modem (cm700). I purchased a cm500 to see if that was the issue but the same thing happened. Both modems show good and all lights are green but it still won’t activate. Does anyone have any trouble shooting or other things I could try since cox is so unhelpful and can only tell me to reboot or buy a new one?
Model: CM500|16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem, CM700|High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS 3.0
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Necromal
Aspirant

Re: Cm700 and cm500 cox activation issues

Escalation fixed the issue. They finally sent a guy out but it still gave me the "Device not activated" message. Then he had to call the isp and get it activated. So, yeah. Tier 1 is useless. Just make them send you a tech to get your service activated. CM700 working just fine. Just need to upgrade my Router/AP because it's bottlenecking my speeds.

Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What isp did the CM700 come from?

The new CM500 you bought, was it used? What isp was it on?

Some isp's you aren't able to swap modems between because of the way the isp partitions them. 

Message 2 of 5
Necromal
Aspirant

They are both retail modems that I personally bought for use with cox. I’ve done the activation through the browser and then called them to give them all the other information needed but it continues to show “device not activated” on the cox page. Tier 1 support merely told me that it must be a problem with my modem but two brand new modems not working seems extremely unlikely. I did the same steps for both modems and attempted to have them activated. Support was aware of this and “attempted” to troubleshoot but nothing changed.
I will attempt to call and escalate to tier 2 support. I’ve read that tier 1 is absolutely useless in activation modems.
Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

Tier 1 is fairly useless.  I'd also check all your coax connectors. If you're upload connection isn't good enough, they don't get a return signal. 

So direct connect the modem to wherever the cox connection comes in. Make sure there's no splitters, amplifiers, attenuators, or kinked cables in the line. 

Message 4 of 5
Necromal
Aspirant

Escalation fixed the issue. They finally sent a guy out but it still gave me the "Device not activated" message. Then he had to call the isp and get it activated. So, yeah. Tier 1 is useless. Just make them send you a tech to get your service activated. CM700 working just fine. Just need to upgrade my Router/AP because it's bottlenecking my speeds.

Thanks for your help.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7