Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to limit number of connected devices to home modem/router (C6300)

seannyboy
Follower

How to limit number of connected devices to home modem/router (C6300)

How can I limit the raw number of devices connecting to my home modem? Model is C6300. I am not looking to provide a list of devices that I allow access or no access to...but rather, I want to X number of devices to be able to connect to my 2.4GHz network, Y number of devices to be able to connect to my 5GHz network and Z number of devices to be able to connect to my guest network.

Also, is there a way to prioritize bandwith for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks over my guest network? If that is not possible, I suppose I can limit 2.4GHz and 5GHz connected devices to just residents and everyone else connect to the guest network. However, how can I ensure that priority goes to the residents?

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 2
TheEther
Guru

Re: How to limit number of connected devices to home modem/router (C6300)

Most Netgear routers have a limit of 32 clients per frequency band (i.e. 32 for 2.4 GHz and 32 for 5 GHz).  The guest network uses either the 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz or both.

These home market routers don't have no effective way to prioritize bandwidth to non-guest devices.  You'll need business-class networking equipment to accomplish that.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7