Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ipad can't connect on Xfinity, using C3700 gateway

CCB123
Follower

Ipad can't connect on Xfinity, using C3700 gateway

I have a Netgear C3700 gateway router/modem.  I have both a regular and a 5G SSID set up.

We just moved residences, but kept all of our same services from Comcast, and our same equipment.   Plugged the gateway in, and the Internet worked through the wired connection, and through the Netgear Powerline adapters we have plugged in for the computers.  My daughter's computer has wi-fi, and it works with the gateway with no problem.

Our cell phones connect, and then have a screen that we need to authorize our Comcast devices.  We did that, but I really don't think it did anything, since on the last phone, I just cancelled it out, and was still able to get on the wireless connection. 

The problems seem to only be with our ipads.  Here's what I'm doing on the ipads:

Settings, Wi-Fi, selecting either of the networks that I have set up.  It shows connecting to the network, with the broadcast/connect symbol showing on the top left corner.  The symbol then immediately goes away, and an Xfinity screen pops up, saying "Welcome to XFINITY ACTIVATION!  You're just a few steps away from activating your devices and experiencing entertainment like never before."

I click continue, then enter in my username and password.  I have also gone the route of entering in my account number and telephone number, and get the same results. 

After hitting enter, it shows "Connecting devices" then "Connection established!  Your're almost done."  I hit continue then get the message "We've noticed an issue with activating your equipment.  Call us."

I called, but could not get the guy at Comcast customer service to understand what I was telling him. 

I have done a soft reset, and then a hard reset of the gateway, but the problem connecting our Ipads continues.  I even tried setting up a guest network on the gateway to see if maybe that would work. 

Anyone have suggestions on how to get my ipad to get onto the network?  

Thanks!  I've tried to include everything I could think of in here that would be needed for solving the problem, but can always give more information. 

Message 1 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Ipad can't connect on Xfinity, using C3700 gateway

Hello CCB123

Sometimes with IOS devices I have seen them have issues connecting to the wifi because of the security type on the router the first thing that I would try to do is change the security type on the router to WPA or maybe just try to connect with a Ipad with no wifi security to test if this may be the issue. If this does not work I have found the way to reset all your wireless connections that are on your Ipad which could be causing a issue

Steps on how to reset the network settings on your iPad:

1) Go to Settings
2) Click on General Settings
3) Then go to Reset
4) Click on Reset Network Settings

Hope to hear your feedback 

DarrenM

Message 2 of 4
r1mdi5y
Aspirant

Hello DarrenM,

I am currently facing the same problem as CCB123 with my Neatgear C3700. I moved home and restarted my Comcast service. My Netgear C3700 works for all my 3 laptops (Toshiba, Dell and Asus), but not IOS devices Iphones and Ipads.

I have done all soft resets and hard resets on both IOS devices and Netgear C3700 but didn't work.

The Iphones and Ipads are working on my neighbor AT&T network.

I performed your suggestion on all IOS devices as below but still didn't work.

1) Go to Settings
2) Click on General Settings
3) Then go to Reset
4) Click on Reset Network Settings

I even went and logged into the Netgear C3700 with htpp://routerlogin.net:

- I changed the network name (SSD Broadcast name) and network key name

- IOS devices can conect to Netgear C3700 with new name/key but still no internet access.

I will try to turn off Security key or change to WPA and let you know. But I think this is a serious Netgear design flaw with Apple IOS devices. Maybe Netgear should perform more tests on their devices with IOS before release. 

Message 3 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello r1mdi5y

I was looking and seen on the the comcast community other people having the same issue as you are and they sadi changing the DNS settings on there IOS devices worked so you will want to change the DNS to 8.8.8.8 and the secondary as 8.8.4.4 here is also a guide to do it on IOS. Let me know if this works

http://www.macinstruct.com/node/558

DarrenM

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7