Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is CM1200 a good modem to use with Velop Mesh

JasGr81
Aspirant

Is CM1200 a good modem to use with Velop Mesh

I have Spectrum Internet. Last summer I replaced my Apple router with 8 individual Velop nodes and it worked great for a while but then the speeds kept falling and individual nodes kept disconnecting. So in November I purchased the Netgear CM1200 cable modem and returned the Spectrum supplied modem. But it hasn’t helped at all. Every day I have to restart various nodes because they lose connection! I don’t know what the issue is! Does anyone know what is the recommended modem for a Velop mesh network or what are the recommended settings so everything works how it should!
Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
JasGr81
Aspirant

Re: Is CM1200 a good modem to use with Velop Mesh

I was in the process of posting on Linksys. But I appreciate the information about the cable splitters and the coax cable is just the cable that Spectrum installed years ago so is there a way to tell what quality it is?

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> [...] 8 individual Velop nodes [...]

Not a very detailed description of anything.  Or is there only one
possible model of "Velop node"?  (My quick Web search suggests
otherwise.)

> [...] I purchased the Netgear CM1200 cable modem and returned the
> Spectrum supplied modem. But it hasn't helped at all. [...]

Did you have any evidence that the modem (whatever it was) caused
your problem?  Replacing one good modem with a different good modem
might reasonably be expected to have little effect on a router problem.

> [...] Does anyone know what is the recommended modem for a Velop mesh
> network [...]

Ask Linksys?  Again, why blame the modem?

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

For any cable modem issues, 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. 
Be sure there are not coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 

Your best option would be to post about this over on the linksys forums. This seems to be a Linksys issue and they will be the ones to best help you. 

@JasGr81 wrote:
I have Spectrum Internet. Last summer I replaced my Apple router with 8 individual Velop nodes and it worked great for a while but then the speeds kept falling and individual nodes kept disconnecting. So in November I purchased the Netgear CM1200 cable modem and returned the Spectrum supplied modem. But it hasn’t helped at all. Every day I have to restart various nodes because they lose connection! I don’t know what the issue is! Does anyone know what is the recommended modem for a Velop mesh network or what are the recommended settings so everything works how it should!

Message 3 of 7
JasGr81
Aspirant

I was in the process of posting on Linksys. But I appreciate the information about the cable splitters and the coax cable is just the cable that Spectrum installed years ago so is there a way to tell what quality it is?
Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Not really. You could have an ISP tech come and check signals on the line. 

Best way is to remove any splitters. Install new RG6 coax between the ISP service box and the modem. 

Always test the modem operation with a wired PC directly connected to the modem to check speeds and operation. If this is all good here, then move on to adding a router or troubleshooting the external router connected between the modem and PC. 

Good Luck. 

Message 5 of 7
JasGr81
Aspirant

Will do thank you!
Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7