Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NETGEAR C7000v2 using as bridge mode

DanielGGV
Tutor

NETGEAR C7000v2 using as bridge mode

Dear all, I have read a lot on this forum about the subject that I'm going to describe, but I've not found a solution to my problem. I have a NETGEAR C7000v2 modem/router/wifi and I want to connect a Cisco RV345 (POE) router to it in order to do port forwarding and port triggering through it and in turn connect two POE WAPs to improve the wifi coverage. The problem is that if I configure de NETGEAR modem in bridge mode, The Cisco router does not acquire the public address provided by the ISP (cablelynx). If I connect any laptop to the modem, it does, but the router does NOT. I have tried a thousand ways and have not obtained good results.

I've disconnected the wifi network from the modem and only connected the router, pretending it was working in bridge mode, and the router works without problems, although I have not tried the port forwarding yet, buy I know it is not the way to configure the equipment.

Any suggestion?

Thank you in advance for the good will og you fellow forum members.

Daniel

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: NETGEAR C7000v2 using as bridge mode

Try this, set the C series modem for modem only mode then connect 1 wired PC to the back of the modems LAN ports, Try LAN #1 port. After the mode reboots, check with the PC...does the PC get internet services here at all? 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 11
DanielGGV
Tutor

I did it... as I explained.

But the router still no getting the public Ip provided by the ISP.

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to contact the mfr of the external router for there help and information regarding there product. 

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 4 of 11
DanielGGV
Tutor

Unfortunately nothing worked.
I did all the steps indicated and I\the router still doesn't get the public address provided by the ISP.

Again, if I connect a laptop to the modem, which is in bridge mode, it immediately gets the IP address and internet access. But the router does not.

I have a back up router (Cisco RV130) and after following the steps and connecting it to the modem the exact same thing happens. V1 is down.

Both routers were working perfectly with another modem and another ISP two weeks ago. I moved to my new location, the new ISP required me to provide a DOCSIS 3.0 modem (I bought the NETGEAR C7000v2) and now neither of both routers can get the ISP's public IP correctly.

I have never had such a hard time with this modem plus router chaining.

I do not know if there is any incompatibility between NETGEAR modem and CISCO router. I confirm that the routers work perfectly because two weeks ago they were working properly.

I don't know what else to do

Thanks for your support

Daniel

Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

Try leaving the c7000 in router mode and disable its wifi. then setup the cisco's ip address into the netgear's dmz. 

I'm not sure why the cisco isn't pulling and ip address with the c7000 in modem only mode but the modem is working fine if other devices are pulling an ip address/working when connected. 

Message 6 of 11
DanielGGV
Tutor

Thank you guys for your interest in supporting me.

Here's how it works:
If the Netgear modem is in routing mode and I only connect to its ports the Cisco router... the router connects well with the ISP and has Internet, always disabling WiFi at the modem Netgear.
The Cisco router does not pull an IP when it is in bridge mode which is what it should be.
Should I leave the configuration like this?

Will I be able to do port forwarding and triggering in this configuration?
The Netgear message is clear saying that with this configuration there would be a double NAT and that this is not good.

The other option is using only the Netgear modem/router (wifi off) and connecting a switch to it to get more ethernet ports and to connect other wired clients.

I'm really lost

Thanks again

Daniel

Message 7 of 11
DanielGGV
Tutor

Could it be that the ISP has modified the modem's firmware so that the modem (provided by me, not leased from the ISP) cannot be configured in bridge mode working with an external router?
ISP= cablelynx)
Daniel

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this, set the C series modem for modem only mode then connect 1 wired PC to the back of the modems LAN ports, Try LAN #1 port. After the mode reboots, check with the PC...does the PC get internet services here at all? 

Message 9 of 11
DanielGGV
Tutor

Yes, connecting one laptop to the modem while the modem is in bridge mode, the laptop got the public IP.

In addition today I received some help from abroad (a friend).

We used a NUC with two ethernet connections. One connected to the modem, the other to the router. Using a software to share devices. He took control of the modem and the router. In addition the modem was set up to bridge mode.

The first step was to force a static IP to the router, having data from the ISP prior to set up in bridge mode (IP address, IP subnet mask, Gateway IP address, and primary plus secondary DNS). After some magic touches (that I can't describe, I'm sorry). the router got the public IP. He is member of this forum, so I will try to convince him to explain more in details.

Thanks a lot to those member who sepent their time trying to support me.

Daniel

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like something is going on with the external router if your wired PC got an IP address. 

Hopefully your friend figured it out. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7