Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear CM1000 activation woes

tapakai
Aspirant

Netgear CM1000 activation woes

This post is for the Netgear CM1000 Docsis 3.1 gigabit modem. The tag for this product is still not available maybe beacause it does not officially ship for a few more days. I used the CM500 as a placeholder.

I am currently on the Comcast Blast Pro + Basic TV plan. I am supposed to be getting 200 Mbps with this internet plan.

I own the Arris SB6141 and it was getting me only around 100 Mbps down. When I called Xfinity support to complain, I was told that the SB6141 was EOL'ed and if I wanted to get the speeds that I was paying for, I would need to upgrade my modem.

After a bit of research, I noticed that 

a. The Docis 3.1 Netgear CM 1000 was in the process of being widely released and that it was certified for self install by Xfinity.

b. Portland, Oregon where I live was an upcoming Docis 3.1 Xfinity gigabit market, with an expected rollout in January

So instead of buying another Docsis 3.0 modem like a SB6190 which would have handled the 200 Mbps I am paying for I decided to invest in a Netgear CM 1000 (179.99) since it was available at Fry's.

On Saturday, I bought my first CM 1000 and tried to install and activate it the same day. The workflow is supposed to be a self service flow where after the modem connected to the Xfnity network, the normal browser wizard is supposed to appear to activate the modem after taking Xfinity login credentials. However the modem would keep cycling between downlink led flash then acquire, uplink led flash then acquire, intenet connect led flash and then stop and the loop would start all over again with the downlink led flash. After spending a few hours with both Xfinity and Netgear support, I would told to exchange the modem.

So today (Sunday), I went back again to Fry's exchanged the modem for another new one and tried activating it. It had the exact same symptoms/result. Spent a few more hours with Netgear Support and Xfinity support and could not get the newer CM 1000 activated.

My cable is pulled straight into the attic (without any splitters on the outside of my house) from the pole and there is a single splitter in the attic and one line goes to the modem and the second line is further split for the cable outlets in various rooms through a distribution box.

The old Arris SB 6141 does well with this setup and locks in right way and the activation screen appears and gets provisioned without any hitches after going through the setup wizard which appears promply as soon as I set it up.

No such luck with the new Netgear CM 1000

Here is what I get with the Arris SB 6141

large.png

Here is what I get for the Netgear CM 1000

large_1.png

large_2.png

So the CM 1000 never comes online (Access Denied is the comment in the Startup procedure summary).

Here are the access logs for the modem startup handshake loop (I have removed the mac addresses since this is a public forum) starting and ending with the IPv6 notice.

Time Priority Description

2016-12-18, 12:49:20 Notice (6) Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv6

2016-12-18, 12:49:31 Critical (3) REG-RSP - invalid format or not recognized;CM-MAC=;CMTS-MAC=;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

2016-12-18, 12:49:34 Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing;CM-MAC=;CMTS-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

2016-12-18, 12:50:48 Warning (5) Lost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=b0:7f:b9:66:8b:28;CMTS-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

2016-12-18, 12:51:32 Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing;CM-MAC=;CMTS-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

2016-12-18, 12:51:34 Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing;CM-MAC=;CMTS-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

2016-12-18, 12:51:34 Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing;CM-MAC=;CMTS-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

2016-12-18, 12:51:44 Warning (5) Lost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=;CMTS-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

2016-12-18, 12:51:45 Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing;CM-MAC=;CMTS-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

2016-12-18, 12:51:54 Notice (6) Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv6

Xfinity clearly claims that the Netgear CM 1000 is a supported device at https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com

Not sure what to do now to get the CM 1000 activated and get the 200 Mbps that I am paying for. The chances of two modems being faulty is likely very small. This is likely a setup, authentication or firmware issue.

I have a pair of Netgear R7500s. One in the attic and the other in the basement connected to the one in the attic using Cat6 that acts as a wired bridge to extend the wireless. So I can very much use the extra internet bandwidth.

I am sure more will follow in my path given that the CM 1000 is the only Docsis 3.1 that is currently available for the general public to buy. So resolving my issue will smoothen the path for others that will follow.

Thanks!

Model: CM500|16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
Message 1 of 24

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Tapakai

This is a known issue with the FW on this unit I suggest contacting support for a RMA to resolved the issue with the CM1000.

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 24

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Tapakai

This is a known issue with the FW on this unit I suggest contacting support for a RMA to resolved the issue with the CM1000.

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

DarrenM

Message 2 of 24
tapakai
Aspirant

Thanks for responding Darren.

I will go the RMA route.

Message 3 of 24
tapakai
Aspirant

I am giving up on the Netgear CM1000.

Netgear Support confirmed that my activation timeouts are a known issue with the FW of the modem. They also told me that they do not have a fix yet. They had the gall to tell me to buy a different model. They claim that this might be an issue only with Xfinity customers and not TW or Cox customers. This modem ironically is advertised as certified to have a self service provisioning flow with Xfinity prominently on the box and website (says nothing about TW or Cox). Netgear also wanted to charge me shipping to RMA it to them for a working version at some unknown date in the future.  I plan on returning the modem to Fry's and get a refund.

This modem is showing as sold out on Amazon. Looks like 73% who looked at it on newegg bought it. I am told by Netgear that these modems also have the same faulty firmware on them. I assume quite a few Xfinity customers will get their hands on this modem with the faulty firmware, once these start arriving in a day or two. They are in for a lot of pain. 

As it stands today the firmware is not customer updatable. Maybe Netgear will provide a script at some stage that one can telnet in an run on the modem, so this modem can at least finish the startup procedure and come online on the Xfinity network. One does not exist today and the exisitng modem webconsole is not capable of upgrading the firmware.

This has been a bad customer experience with Netgear. I will rethink my future purchases of Netgear products.

Message 4 of 24
MarkC1024
Luminary

Thanks for this.  I was looking to swap out my Arris SB6190 with the Puma 6 chipset (same as CM700), but it seems I'm better off waiting until the CM1000 matures a bit more.

Message 5 of 24
Wayne1938
Tutor

I am going the same route and waiting until the problem is resolved.

What is a little strange is, there are some people who have this modem and Comcast who have had no trouble with it.

Amazon says it's out of stock and I can expect delivery between Jan 25th and Jan 27th 2017.

With that much time, maybe Netgear or Comcast will have it figured out.

Message 6 of 24
tapakai
Aspirant

Netgear support reached out to me today, offering to replace the modem without me having to pay for shipping. But as I said in my previous posting, I returned the modem to Fry's for a refund.

They have a firmware fix now it seems and the firware fix is not customer installable. So customers with defective modems will have to ship them back for a replacement. Modems with the fix are not available in stores yet. They told me they will call me back when the firware fixed modems are available in stores.

I will wait for a call or confirmation before buying another. Don't want to go through the hassle of trying another one and then shipping it to Netgear to get one with the proper firmware.

Customer's experience with this modem will vary depending on which stage of the docisis 3.1/ipv6 rollout that particular area is currently at and also if the proper modem profiles exists in those regions for the CM 1000.

So yes, it is best to wait for a month or two. I am guessing they will be refurbishing a lot of these first batch of modems. I think places like Amazon as showing long ship times now because they are in process of updating the firmware on modems that have not shipped.

Message 7 of 24
Trikein
Luminary

I help support a couple ISPs on my off time. Could you confirm if it is known what ISPs this bug effects? The CM1000 was just added to Cox's supported modems. There is known issues with the Arris SB6190 and Netgear CM700 (Puma 6 CPU) that Intel is working on, but until then, the CM1000 is the only known 32+ downstream modem not using the Puma chip. Please fix the issue soon so us early adapters have a high end modem to buy. 

1. Will this bug effect Cox and other ISP besides Comcast? IE Cox still uses IPv4 for the modem IP.

2. Is this bug related to the Broadcom CPU?

3. Is there a ETA on when the firmware patch will be the one installed at factory?

Message 8 of 24
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Trikein

as of right now I am aware of it being a issues with some comcast areas but not all because of there CMTS and not being able to patch the firmware so that is why we would have to do a RMA on some of the customers units. I have no ETA on when this will be resolved will let you know when I hear more about this issue.

DarrenM

Message 9 of 24
jef152
Aspirant

I'm having trouble activating he CM1000 on Comcast, even with the new firmware (2.01.14).  I looked up the CMTS, and it is Cadant.  Any thoughts or help?  

Message 10 of 24
rsand2
Aspirant

I have just received my backordered CM1000 from Amazon, which I planned on using to replace my CM600. I can confirm I have the exact same problem as in this post and cannot get the modem past the message "Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv6". I'm going to open a support case w Netgear and see what they tell me. I've got XFinity Blast+ in Wilmington DE. Also firmware 2.0.1.14
Message 11 of 24
jef152
Aspirant

Had a Comcast tech come out.  Solved the issue (and he even fixed another I didn't know I had!).  The issue with my CM1000 was bad coax line, even though my previous cable modem worked.  New coax line from the house entry point to where the modem was fixed it.  Apparently I also had some noise on the line coming from one of my TiVo boxes as well, which was fixed with a filter.

Message 12 of 24
FrederickStaats
Aspirant

Recived my new Netgear CM1000 from Amazon yesterday 6-JAN-2017 and activated in Portland Oregon today 7-JAN-2017.

In my case I followed the activation instructions exactly and appeared that activation webforms worked as documented but I didn't get internet connectivity.  I did have connectivty to the CMTS as logging into the Netgear CM1000 I saw that I had strong connection with 24 down stream and 4 upstream Docsis 3.0 channels which is the most that Comcast provisions in my area at this time.

I called Comcast and for some reason they couldn't explain the self activiation had not added the modem to my account.  They took the CM information over the phone and added the CM to the account manually.  After some playing around we discovered that I needed to reboot the modem again and run thorugh the self activiation screens again.  After this I had internet connectivity.  A few days ago I was notified by Comcast that we were upgraded to 200 mbit/s service.  After the upgrade to this new CM I've consistiantly gotten 230-240 mbit/s down and 12 mbit/s up on several different speed test sites (Netflix's fast.com, the Comcast/Xfinity speed test, speedtest.com, etc.)  My previous CM with only 4 download and 4 upload channels maxed out at 170 mbit/s down and 12 mbit/s up.

When I connected my router (a commerical grade PFSense SG-4860 made by Netgate) I lost network connectivity.  Turns out every time I change the device connected to the Netgear CM1000 ethernet port I have to do a reboot of the Netgear CM1000 for it and the CMTS to allocate an IP address to the newly connected device.

I normally request a /60 IPv6 network allocation from Comcast (16 IPv6 networks is the most they seem to give to non-commerical customers in the Portland area.)  I noticed that my DHCPv6 request had not honored my /60 request and had only allocated a single IPv6 network.  I've had this problem in the past with Comcast where the CMTS caches the first DHCPv6 request (per MAC address) for two weeks and refuses to honor a refresh request with a differnet parameters.  The work around I've found to work best is to spoof a different MAC address on the router WAN port and power cycle the cable modem and router at the same time.  I have also found that that if my IPv6 address prefix changes that I have to manually clear the PFSense DHCPv6 servers cache and reboot all devices like my Windows Laptop that are requesting IPv6 addresses from DHCPv6 (note: this is not an issue for any IPv6 devices that use autoconfiguration like my cell phones.)  This worked and I now have the CM1000 running with a /60 DHCPv6 address allocation for all my internal networks.

Finally my old CM (an Arris TG722g Cable Modem with Voice eMTA) could not be removed from my account by the Comcast phone agent.  As I'm going to sell this old modem I went in to the local Comcast/Xfinity retail store and had them remove the device (5 minute wait and <5 minutes once I could see an agent.)  I also asked the agent when the "Gigibit" service using Docsis 3.1 would be available in Portland Oregon.  He said there is no offical word yet but the rumors are leaning towards a late March or April introduction.

Message 13 of 24
Scrigs
Tutor

I am on my second modem now and still won't connect to my ISP (mediacom cable).  After my first hour and a half experience with Netgear support with the first modem, I am not looking forward to having to call again.  Can't even understand what they are trying to tell you and they wanted me to pay to send back the old one.....not going to happen.  It sounds like it Netgear's issue, why should the customer have to pay for shipping and handling?  I have many Netgear products and I am about to switch them all out.....losing faith fast.  

Message 14 of 24
JBert37
Aspirant

I originally bought my CM1000 online through Bestbuy. It worked for almost 3 weeks and the just quit. Got another from Best Buy this Monday and could not get it provisioned. Could not even see the walled garden for Mediacom. Mediacom says they could see it but it was like the modem just wouldn't accept an IP address. I feel like Mediacom did an upgrade and its messing with the CM1000.

Message 15 of 24
Scrigs
Tutor

They escalated my ticket, but I'm having a hard time believing it's on their end after reading all the other issues with multiple providers on here. It sounds like everything points to a firmware issue. My first one provisioned right away and worked great for almost 2 weeks. Then two Sundays ago it quit working. Got a replacement from Amazon and it won't provision at all. Same thing as you, they can see it, just can't communicate with it.
Message 16 of 24
wayneF1938
Initiate

I keep seeing all the problems people are having and think it must be firmare issues with the ISP.

Comcast had a problem at one time when the CM1000 was first released and found it was a firmware problem. They had that corrected very fast.

I have installed 6 CM1000 modems for friends and family has well as myself through the Comcast walled garden and never had a problem.

Someone should be pulling their ISPs chain get get them going.

Message 17 of 24
JBert37
Aspirant

Quick update on my situation. I have a business a few miles from my home. Mediacom is also the provider. I am able to take my CM1000 and self provision it with no problems there however when I come home it still won't work. It won't connect or receive the dns servers. I have to assume it's a problem with the CMTS that my house connects to at mediacom. This has to at least be a contributing factor as its the only thing I can find different between home and my business. I'very done everything possible to try and not return this stupid thing but quite frankly am becoming annoyed with netgear products. Had lots of issues with my Nighthawk 4S as well. My confidence in the line of products offered is waining to say the least.
Message 18 of 24
Scrigs
Tutor

I spent another hour on the phone with a supervisor in tier 2 support two evenings ago. He finally admitted it sounds like an issue on their end and they areally working on updates to stabilize the connectivity. I still don't understand why 4 weeks ago when I hooked the first one up it provisioned right away and worked flawlessly for 2 weeks, then all of a sudden went offline and wouldn't work. The replacement won't come online at all even with the 20 different things they had me try. He is supposed to call me back the 15th with some type of update, even if it means telling me he doesn't have any more info. He did tell me there is only 1 modem with DOCSIS 3.1 that they currently support and I dont remember the name of it but it wasn't Netgear.
Message 19 of 24
JBert37
Aspirant

They only support one because they haven't gotten the system running correctly with only one modem. Support just entails them wtiting firmware to communicate properly on their network. I understand not wanting to have too many variables in a new system but the system should still be able to be backwards compatible. I thin km the failures started when they updated to the 3.1 or updated certain nodes.
Message 20 of 24
wayneF1938
Initiate

Accoring to a post on DSLreports.com/comcast. Firmware version 2.01.15 was released to the MSOs yesterday and should clear up a lot of the problems people are having.

I rebooted my Cm1000 a few minutes ago and still have Ver 2.01.14 so don't know when the new firmware will be pushed to everyone with a CM1000.

Talked to a Comcast tech a week ago who has heard of the activation problems with the CM1000, he said he heard it only effected some Cisco CMTS, he didn't know which model.

My modem has been working great for 6 weeks with only one dropped connection, rebooted the modem and it came right up and has working fine since. So don't know what that was about.

Message 21 of 24
degunny
Aspirant

Ok. I'm on my second CM1000 ( Amazon) in a week. I finally got it provisioned with Comcast. But; I still cannot get a wireless router to connect to the access port. When I connect a laptop directly, I have internet: however; when I connect a brand new Netgear R7000...no internet.
Message 22 of 24
JBert37
Aspirant

Try unplugging both from power. Wait 1 minute. Plug the modem power back in and let it fully boot up. Then plug the power in on the router
Message 23 of 24
Scrigs
Tutor

Yes, unplug everything. Power up your modem first with nothing connected then when your modem is up online connect your cat5 or 6 cable to your router then power up your router. You may have to restart any wireless devices after that for them to reconnect
Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7