Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out : Firmware issue?

jmoyta
Tutor

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out : Firmware issue?

I began noticing erratic internet service issues beginning somewhere around Oct 8, or so.  I'm continuing to experience symptoms like frequent, intermittent MS Teams "Your network is causing poor call quality" messages, and lots of brief DNS issues where Chrome will report "ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED" for a moment before successfully connecting to websites, or requiring a manual retry to do so.

Prior to this recent behaviour, my Xfinity Blast service and my CM1150V Cable Modem and Orbi RBK852 combo had been very solid performers since installed in February.  Nothing physical has changed in my setup, at least inside the house.

I've been wondering if Comcast may have pushed Firmware Version V4.02.02 around that time a few weeks ago, which might be the culprit.  Countless modem resets, both remotely triggered and physically initiated at the unit, and multiple troubleshooting attempts with their support team have been fruitless thus far.  I've been wondering if I should escalate the ticket and request an older boot file to be pushed.

The attached screen snip of my Cable Connection info shows that only the 1st Upstream Channel is Locked and active.

My Event Log keeps showing many recurring instances of Critical (3) Priority:

• 16 consecutive T3 timeouts while trying to range on upstream channel x (where x=1-3)
  • No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
  • Ranging Request Retries exhausted

...and a few Notice (6) entries:

• CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 7; Chan ID: 2 3 4; 
  • CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 8; Chan ID: 2; 

I know of at least one other customer ( @cmarti02 ) with the same firmware, but not in my same local region, who is experiencing the exact same same behavior.  Is there any way to determine when v4.02.02 was pushed, in order to discern if there's a correlation?  Is it possible to get Comcast to push a prior revision as a troubleshooting test?

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out : Firmware issue?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
Try a different power adapter with same voltage and amps.

Message 2 of 7
jafie
Aspirant

Running into the same thing here as @jmoyta...  Definitely started on 10/8.  Same symptoms on Teams.  Steaming services with horible quality.  Watching speeds, they have been completely erratic.  Making the assumption on the firmware.  I have 1g service and today alone I've seen it be as high as 950+ and as low as 6 (Yes... 6).  I've factory reset everything in an effort to isolate.  The only thing that seems to bring any temp relief is a modem reboot.  Yesterday was 5-6 reboots.  Today was only 1 🙂  Multiple calls to Comcast with no real results/guidance/support.

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 3 of 7
Riamo33
Aspirant

Any update on this? Same thing happened to me, thought I was going crazy. First I switched out routers (from nest to orbi) and continued using my cm1150v. Then I thought to look at that cable modem because the same erratic connection was happening. I then saw that there were a lot of t3 and some t4 errors. I had Comcast come and check, they said the signal strength was good and the noise was low. When they came everything was working fine. Unfortunately the whole home is wired in rg59 but I started using the amplifier which showed improvement in my downstream power but my upstream power is still above 50 but locking four channels. I'm at a crossroads where to go from here.
Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Cable modems should be using RG6 not RG59. 

@Riamo33 wrote:
Any update on this? Same thing happened to me, thought I was going crazy. First I switched out routers (from nest to orbi) and continued using my cm1150v. Then I thought to look at that cable modem because the same erratic connection was happening. I then saw that there were a lot of t3 and some t4 errors. I had Comcast come and check, they said the signal strength was good and the noise was low. When they came everything was working fine. Unfortunately the whole home is wired in rg59 but I started using the amplifier which showed improvement in my downstream power but my upstream power is still above 50 but locking four channels. I'm at a crossroads where to go from here.

Message 5 of 7
jmoyta
Tutor

Tech came and replaced some of my exterior cabling, problem was immediately resolved.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad that worked. Please mark your thread as solved so otthers will now. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7