Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Printer Not Able To Print From iPhone or ipad

sulka
Aspirant

Printer Not Able To Print From iPhone or ipad

I recently replaced my old Netgear Router, a WNDR4000, with a new Netgear C700V router. I have an old HP network laserjet printer, 1536dnf, that is connected with an ethernet cable to my router. My printer does not have wifi or bluetooth. It just connects with the cable. Now, I can print from my Dell desktop computer which is hardwired to my router, and I can print from my Dell laptop using wifi. I can't print from my iPhone or my two iPads. When I try to print, it says no AirPrinters found. I was able to print with my old router since it would find the printer. On my new router, my printer shows up on my attached devices list in my network and has an ip address of 192.168.1.38. My router is 192.168.1.1. My iPhone and iPads connect with wif and show up on the 2.4G wireless device list - iPhone ip address is 192.168.1.4, and iPad is 192.168.1.9. One other point, I noticed that my printer was greyed out in my device list which is located in the Windows Control Panel.. I deleted my printer and then tried to add it back. In the past, it would be recognized and automatically added, but it coud not find it. I had to add it manually using an ip address. Since windows does not automatically recognize it, is this why my iPhone and iPads don't find it? Any ideas why I now can't print from my Apple products?

Model: C7100V|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Re: Printer Not Able To Print From iPhone or ipad

Excellent problem description! Looks like Netgear has a bug (existing on several older routers) where either IP broadcast or IGMP Multicast (as used for AirPrint/Bonjour on MacOS/iOS and UPnP SSDP on Windows)  isn't properly forwarded between the LAN (Ethernet ports) and the wireless interfaces (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz), this time on a newer Cable Router. @ChristineT another rant for you to handle please.

Message 2 of 5
myersw
Master

Doubt she can do much other then sympathy. I do believe that she cares about the customer, but she is severely handicapped with the less then stellar firmware engineering group. From what I see on the forums the mods are a one way street to someone, engineering maybe, but the response from whoever never apprears. Probably because it seems there is no change in firmware other then maybe worse from release to release. Folks that are buying off the shelf at like Best Buy still are getting boxes that list the removed features. Won't they be surprised after the suggested firmware update. You know the one, always update to latest on a new box of any kind. Check TP-Link forum for say their A20 router. There the mods actually do something and is a two way street. They ask and get an answer for the forum member. How things should work. Not something wonderful like have you reset and that is it from the mod. 

Message 3 of 5
sulka
Aspirant

Ok, thank you for the info. I was wondering if it was a fault with the communication between the lan and wireless.

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@sulka yes of course it is this .... 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements