Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Trying to determine if CM1000 is losing internet connection

Trying to determine if CM1000 is losing internet connection

For the past few weeks, I've been having an issue in which my internet connection would be lost, with amber light on my R8000 indicating that there is a problem, and loging into my router showed no issues with my internet status.  All devices, from my Windows PCs, Roku and phone would lose the internet unless I rebooted the router.  Rebooting the modem (CM1000) alone did not resolve this issue.  I came to the conclusion that my router of 5 years was about the give up the ghost.  So I replaced it with the R8000P since A: it was priced the same as my current model and B: I like having it wallmounted and could keep the same mounting points on the wall.

Shortly after setting up the new router the issue returned.  I attempted a few idea such as using my ISP's DNS instead of a third party one, that didn't do it, and since the problem remains if I only rebooted the modem, I still felt like that had to be ruled out.  I contacted my ISP (local monopoly ISP) and no shock, since i'm not using one of their router/modems that are garbage they won't provide any help, not even a line test.  I even brought up the modem does have newer firmware (shooting at the dark here) but the answer is no since they do not support my modem beyond the basic DOCSIS 3.1 standard that they require for all their speed teirs.

I'm at a lose.  Any suggestions?

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready, R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router, R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Trying to determine if CM1000 is losing internet connection

A couple things you can try and some info that would help us.

1. You state cm1000, what firmware is on it?

2. who's your isp?

3. Can we get a screen snip of your connections page (including upload and download connections) and your logs?

4. How frequently is it happening?

5. What speeds do you pay for and what speeds do you get over a hardwired connection. Test speeds directly connected to modem and directly to router.

6. Firmware on the R8000P?

7. Have you tried running the R8000p from stock and only changing wifi ssid/password? Sometimes user settings causes issues.

8. Any other routing devices or is it just the cm1000-->R8000P?

9. Are you running any custom dns settings or have you tried changing these?

Couple things you can try if you think it might be the modem.

1. Check all your connections. Bad splitters, cheap coax cables can cause lots of issues. Remove any unnecessary splitters. Inspect the cables to. I've had a small nick in a cable create internet connection drops intermittently. Or even moisture in a cable can cause it. I usually recommend for troubleshooting for people to move their modem to right where the ISP brings the line into the house and connect there. It removes chances of bad cables within the house or splitters in the house causing the issue. 

Message 2 of 7

1: v2.01.15

2: Blue Ridge Communications (brc.tv)

3: I uploaded screenshots of the logs to my onedrive here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnLtkirRVT30k7pZYKbUufn7-w7F7A?e=r9jK74

4: Can't pin that down.  When it happens, it happens several times within minutes, and I would have to reboot the router 4 or 5 times before it settles, then I could use the net for hours without a hitch.

5: I pay for 500mbps down, 15mbps up.  according to speedtest.net, I achieve about 300 down and 15 up on both their Windows App and website.  however, the speedtest on ptd.net (the actual service for BRC for my internet) I achieve above the speeds i'm paying for.  I have done the tests with task manager open and to my surprise, yes even windows is saying I'm achieving those speeds while using their speed test.

6:V1.4.1.30_1.2.26  (the prior R8000 also had the latest firmware)

7: Except changing the Wifi SSID and passwords and changint he router password, the only other setting that was changed is I turned off UPNP.  That's somthing I've been doing since i left the world of dial-up modems 20 years ago.  And I only access my router directly in the web browswer.  I don't use a phone app or that routerlogin website.

8: I have a Netgear 5 port switch connected to my R8000P via a 50ft ethernet cable for my two tower computers (one for work and one for play).  I tried removing the switch, hooking the one machine directly to the router and the other via a USB wireless dongle, didn't fix anything.

9: The DNS settings currently are whatever my ISP provides, and again, that didn't fix the situation.

I have an ethernet pin tester and so far all connections are good.   I don't see damage to the coax cable.  The only cable I haven't swapped is my 50 ft cable I used to wrap around the room to where my computers are.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

Your downstream signal is low and out of spec. Your upstream is within spec but probably a touch on the high side. Between your downstream being low and your upstream being on the higher side I'd be looking at signal from your provider. Try what I suggested on moving the modem to right where it enters the house and if your signals are still the same, I'd make your ISP check them. Remove any splitters/amplifiers from the line for testing. Your sync issue in the logs point to this too. 

Message 4 of 7

Thank you for your reply.  I'll see what I can do but I'm sure I'll be forced to drop my netgear stuff for their garbage just to get some support. 😕

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

They might not support your device but they need to make sure they're providing your proper signal to your residence. I'd try the replacing connectors and lines

Message 6 of 7

Just as an update, according to them the signals are well within tolerances (they don't trust what a modem they don't support is telling me) and to them it's more likely an effect of living in rural north east PA.  A tech is coming to install their router/modem and if the problems persists then they'll check the lines.  Welcome to a monopoly ISP. 🙂

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7