Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to reset router password on CAX80

lvshankar
Aspirant

Unable to reset router password on CAX80

(For some reason I'm unable to enter the model number in the given field)

I have a NETGEAR - Nighthawk Dual-Band AX6000 Wi-Fi 6 Router with 32 x 8 DOCIS 3.1 Cable Modem that I've been using without issues for a year. I recently wanted to change some settings and seemed to have locked myself out of the router configuration page (routerlogin.net).

Every time I try to login, it prompts me to reset the password - which it does successfully based on the changing security question selections - but the new (or old) password doesn't seem to work. I've tried different computers, browsers, private modes etc. The Anywhere Access app works from my phone, though. I'd still like to use the configuration page from the browser. Is there no way besides a hard reset? I'd be loathe to reconfigure everything. Please advise !

Edit: I am on version V2.1.3.5 of the firmware and I think I remember doing that recently. Perhaps that's what's causing the issue (a bug)?

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
lvshankar
Aspirant

Re: Unable to reset router password on CAX80

Circling back with an update on this.

I had a Netgear Nighthawk R6700 that was also hooked to the CAX80. Weirdly, despite the web interface showing CAX80, the password was being set on the Nighthawk instead. I had to reset the CAX80 for other reasons so I'll mark this the solution and give kudos where appropriate. Thanks, all !

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you press the reset button for 10 seconds then release then walk thru the setup wizard, write down important information, then complete the setup wizard with a wired PC and web browser? 

Message 2 of 10
lvshankar
Aspirant

Isn’t that just a hard reset? I wanted to avoid doing that if possible
Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

The reset needs to be done so you can walk thru the setup wizard and input corrected PW and security information. Please write this information down for safe keeping. 

Message 4 of 10
lvshankar
Aspirant

ok, maybe there's some misunderstanding here. I'm supremely confident I'm entering the correct password. I tried all the tricks in the book like copy paste and password generator

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, however if thats not working, reset and walk thru the setup wizard. 

Message 6 of 10
lvshankar
Aspirant

yep. I guess I was trying to find out if someone else faced this issue and found a workaround or something..thanks though

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Well, while you wait for someone else to respond, something you can give a go at and get your CAX80 working. 

Also after doing a reset and walking thru the setup wizard, Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Message 8 of 10
lvshankar
Aspirant

Circling back with an update on this.

I had a Netgear Nighthawk R6700 that was also hooked to the CAX80. Weirdly, despite the web interface showing CAX80, the password was being set on the Nighthawk instead. I had to reset the CAX80 for other reasons so I'll mark this the solution and give kudos where appropriate. Thanks, all !

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7