Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using C3700 as a Modem Only

txjon
Aspirant

Using C3700 as a Modem Only

Hello,

I have a C3700 Cable Modem Router but have decided to purchase a new router.  Is there any reason I shouldn't just put the C3700 in modem only (bridge) mode versus buying a new modem?  (Which would probably be the Netgear CM500)

The thing that has me concerned that perhaps I shouldn't use my C3700 in modem only/bridge mode is an article on Netgear support titled "How to set the cable modem/router to be on modem only."  https://kb.netgear.com/27191/How-to-set-the-cable-modem-router-to-be-on-modem-only

The article shows how to set up modem only mode but then says "Netgear does not recommend setting your cable modem/router to modem only.  This mode should be used under special circumstances only."

Why does the article say this?  Are there any advantage to my buying a new cable modem vs putting the C3700 in bridge mode? (Or from the other perspective are there any disadvantages to using the C3700 in bridge mode vs buying a new modem?) Does the C3700 in modem only/ bridge mode function any differently than a straight cable modem would?

Thanks for the help.

Model: C3700|N600 Cable Gateway Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Using C3700 as a Modem Only

I have Spectrum, formerly Time Warner Cable, and I have a 60 MBPS internet only plan.  If the C3700 will function in 'modem only' mode as well as a standalone modem then why does the Netgear article I quoted say "Netgear does not recommend setting your cable modem/router to modem only?"

>> It is not recommended unless you have another router. 

You will have to connect Router behind C3700 In bridge mode and you can connect ONLY a single device behind C3700 in Bridge mode.

Also I do still want to know if the C3700 in modem only/bridge mode operates the same way as a stand alone modem?  For example I read somewhere that in bridge mode modem routers will obtain IP addresses from the ISP directly.  Is that the case with the a standalone modem too?

>> every device connected to the ISP network will pull an IP from ISP. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

what speed tier are you on? who is your ISP?

you should be able to just turn the C3700 to save money on buying new modem and just C3700 as Modem-only with your new router.

Message 2 of 7
txjon
Aspirant

I have Spectrum, formerly Time Warner Cable, and I have a 60 MBPS internet only plan.  If the C3700 will function in 'modem only' mode as well as a standalone modem then why does the Netgear article I quoted say "Netgear does not recommend setting your cable modem/router to modem only?"

Also I do still want to know if the C3700 in modem only/bridge mode operates the same way as a stand alone modem?  For example I read somewhere that in bridge mode modem routers will obtain IP addresses from the ISP directly.  Is that the case with the a standalone modem too?

Thank you for the additional information.

@vkdelta wrote:

what speed tier are you on? who is your ISP?

you should be able to just turn the C3700 to save money on buying new modem and just C3700 as Modem-only with your new router.

Message 3 of 7
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

>> It is not recommended unless you have another router. 

You will have to connect Router behind C3700 In bridge mode and you can connect ONLY a single device behind C3700 in Bridge mode.

>> every device connected to the ISP network will pull an IP from ISP. 

Message 4 of 7
txjon
Aspirant

Thank you vkdelta.  Have one more question.  The C3700 has 8x4 channels.  If I stay on a 100 Mbps plan or below (I'm currently on 60 Mbps) would switching to the CM500 with its 16x4 channels provide better performance?  Thank you.

Model: C3700|N600 Cable Gateway Docsis 3.0
Message 5 of 7
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

@txjon

C3700 (modem mode) should be ok for 100 Mbps connection. 

if you do beyond 100 Mbps, it is preferred to choose atleast 16x4 modem (which is CM500). 

Message 6 of 7
txjon
Aspirant

Ok thank you.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements