Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What is Native Ipv6 and what does it mean for your modem purchase and ISP?

gburns53
Aspirant

What is Native Ipv6 and what does it mean for your modem purchase and ISP?

I think a lot of people are confused why Ipv6 works/doesn't work. I can't get it working and my ISP can't help me. I understand my modem is considered pass-through. I'm not sure exactly what that means, but it likely means it doesn't do anything to support or block Ipv6 connectivity.

I use Wide Open West, when I talk to them they tell me to contact my modem manufacturer (Netgear). However in several conversations they couldn't tell me why, what is the problem.. what is Netgear supposed to do? 

In hindsight, my best guess is WOW! is not Native Ipv6 and so a pass-through doesn't do the grunt work necessary for Ipv6 on their network. The modems they rent out likely do something, whether it be tunneling or something like that which allows the Ipv6 to become active for my LAN devices. 

I'd like to know if I'm correct, what the problem is more specifically, and if there's a modem I could purchase to solve the problem. 

Model: CM600|CM600 High Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: What is Native Ipv6 and what does it mean for your modem purchase and ISP?

All that native IPv6 means is that the ISP has IPv6 networking and protocol services in place at there facilities that will service the protocol thru there network services out to there customers is all. Other wise if ISPs like mine, spartlight, don't offier any kind of native IPv6 support, then users can use IPv6 tunneling services like Hurricane Electric's tunnel broker and others to tunnel IPv6 serices under IPv4 networks. 

Your ISP should know weather they are fully supporting and pushing IPv6 out on there networks or not. If whom ever your talking to doesn't seem to know this then you need to talk to someone else. A tech or esclalated support should know this. 

Message 2 of 6
gburns53
Aspirant

They seem to think they can support Ipv6 to some extent. (And it may be simply turning on a tunneling feature in their Modems)

My google wifi mesh system and app says something very clear, like "Ipv6 is now enabled, but Ipv6 is not configured or is not supported by your ISP. So everything is using IPv4.

When I say "WOW!, please help me I can't get it active.." they say "sure, we can do that!"... Then they take a look at my modem remotely.. and then they realize it's a personal modem and tell me to contact Netgear.

It's very much as if they want to flip a switch for me in the software settings.. but they can't do it because it's not their modem. I've asked them, what do you want me to do? I can see all the options (there's almost 0, btw) in the admin config. But they just keep saying talk to your manufacturer. I've talked to 3 different people at WOW! and I got pushy looking for answers, this leads me to believe there's a confusion factor happening.. and I highlighted that confusion above with what I think the reason might be.

Model: CM500|16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

There would be nothing in the NG modem to configure. You can check to be sure at 192.168.100.1. However I believe it's all pass thru. 
Next you would need to make sure your external router is configured correctly to receive IPv6 protocols from the ISP thru the modem...

Message 4 of 6
gburns53
Aspirant

Google wifi app makes it very clear the problem is occurring in the ISP/Modem end. Yes, I get that there's nothing to change in the Config for this modem.. trust me I relayed this to my ISP. 

Yet again, the place where we need to place our finger (the solution) is why my ISP thinks they can solve this problem if I was renting one of their modems.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

So, connect up a wired PC to the CM modem. Remove the external router. WIth your PC you can tell if IPv6 is coming thru ether in the networking status section or in a command line by using IPCONFIG /ALL

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7