Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Which MAC address?

larryb2
Aspirant

Which MAC address?

My Nighthawk C7800 won't work with Cox internet. I"ve spent hours on tech support calls with no results - to them it appears not connected at all and on my side the Internet light just keeps blinking rapidly. One thing I've noticed is that the MAC address on the sticker on the bottom of the unit (the one I gave to Cox) is different from the MAC address shown in the advanced tab of the Netgear Genie admin interface. Also, it appears that there is an address barely visible UNDER the sticker that is the same as that shown in the admin interface except for the last digit (e.g. :50 vs :51). What MAC should Cox use?

I'd sure appreciate any help!

Notice the printing behind the sticker, it starts with 'CC' which matches the MAC shown in the admin interface.Notice the printing behind the sticker, it starts with 'CC' which matches the MAC shown in the admin interface.

Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Which MAC address?

The one one the sticker should be used, MAC and it should match the one seen on the advanced tab for the WAN side or connection side of the modem. Not the LAN side. This MAC will be different. Do you have the box that the modem came in? You can use that as well. 

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page.
Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

Message 2 of 4
larryb2
Aspirant

Here's a screenshot of the Advanced Home tab. When I click 'Connection Status' on the right under 'Internet Port' the page contains no info just like the summary. The MAC on the sticker doesn't match either of the MAC addresses in the screenshot. There's no sticker on the box. Is it the MAC shown here under 'Cable Information' or the one under 'Internet Port' that Cox should use?

Thanks very much for your help!

Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 2.03.11 PM.png

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

How long have you had the modem? If not long, try to return the modem and get another. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7