Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

cm1200 to Synology RT2600ac

PineReach
Tutor

cm1200 to Synology RT2600ac

I just replaced my old modem with a new CM1200 and I am having a little trouble. BTW, my isp is Comcast.

On modem internet connection is Good. Ethernet Port Aggregation Status is checked but: Inactive

I have also checked all ethernet cables - all good.

Old Modem (Zoom 5341J) to RT2600ac to WAN port good connection.

New modem (Netgear CM1200) LAN1 to computer good connection.  

New modem (Netgear CM1200) LAN1 to RT2600ac WAN no connection.      <<current connection>>

Netgear LAN2 to RT WAN no connection.

Netgear LAN2 to RT LAN1 good connection.     <<current connection>>

I have a trouble ticket requested with Synology, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything on the Netgear side.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
PineReach
Tutor

Re: cm1200 to Synology RT2600ac

Interesting.  I followed your procedure and here is the result:

Netgear CM1200 LAN1 to RT2600ac WAN good connection. <<current connection>>

Netgear LAN2 to RT LAN1 no connection. <<current connection>>

Basically everything reversed. 

You are right about aggregation on the Synology.  Probably looking at getting a new router.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 13

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You are missing something. 

you can't* have your computer and your router direct connected to the CM1200. Port 1 and port 2 are for link aggregation. If you're not using that (link aggregation), you can only really use port 1 for most consumers. and the Router you're using doesn't have wan side link aggregation that I could find. 

So go CM1200-----router----pc. 

*Some ISP's will provide multiple IP addresses and that does allow the other ports to be used. That's rare though and tends to be the business class connection. If you're on a consumer setup, most don't allow more than 1 IP. 

For the majority of users (home users) the CM1000 or CM1100 is what they should be looking at. 

Message 2 of 13
plemans
Guru

I must have missed it, the synology does support WAN aggregation. 

You'd still need to go cm1200----synology---pc though

Message 3 of 13
PineReach
Tutor

Dear Plemans,

Thanks for your note.

I don't have the computer connected to the modem.  I listed that state to indicate the CM1200 LAN1 port was good.  The RT2600ac has WAN, LAN1, LAN2, LAN3 & LAN4.  It may not provide aggregation, but WAN was working with the old modem and LAN1 is working now and both ports are set up to get a signal from the modem.

Message 4 of 13
plemans
Guru

Feeling even more stupid. The more you research wan port aggregation for the synology the more it looks like its for dual wan with load balancing/fail over. Not wan aggregation. So you could have 2x devices such as a modem and a mobile router for fall back or load balancing. 

Not very well documented on their part. You'd want to contact synology forums or support for more details on their wan side stuff. 

Message 5 of 13
plemans
Guru

BTW disabled wan port aggregation on the CM1200. 

Message 6 of 13
plemans
Guru

Reason I said disable it in the cm1200, is that from what I can read, wan port aggregation doesn't work with the synology. 

You CAN run dual modems to it or modem-mobile router type setup with load balancing/fail over. But you can't run single modem setup to both wan and lan1 port. 

again, this is just the brief research I did on the synology router. They'd be the experts on their device. 

but unless you have a router with true wan port aggregation, having the cm1200 port aggregation enabled/connected will cause issues with the cm1200.  

Message 7 of 13
PineReach
Tutor

Turning off the modem aggregation.  Thanks for the advise.

Message 8 of 13
plemans
Guru

Did it work?

Message 9 of 13
PineReach
Tutor

No change.  Now considering a Netgear Router the supports the aggregation.  Any suggestions?

Thanks again for your help.

Message 10 of 13
plemans
Guru

Try this. 

Factory reset both the CM1200 and the synology.

Boot up the CM1200 with nothing connected. Give it a few minutes to fully boot.

then plug port 1 from cm1200 into the wan 1 port on synology.

Then boot it up and factory install it.

You said the cm1200 worked when your computer was directly connected. Thats a good sign. 

Are you able to access the synology? 

Not an expert with their devices which is why I'd recommend a factory reset to ensure no prior settings are causing issues. 

Message 11 of 13
PineReach
Tutor

Interesting.  I followed your procedure and here is the result:

Netgear CM1200 LAN1 to RT2600ac WAN good connection. <<current connection>>

Netgear LAN2 to RT LAN1 no connection. <<current connection>>

Basically everything reversed. 

You are right about aggregation on the Synology.  Probably looking at getting a new router.

Thanks!

Message 12 of 13
plemans
Guru

My understanding of the synology is that its a pretty solid router. I've never used one but I've heard good things about them. Unless it isn't doing the job you bought it for, I'd keep using it.

I've got the CM1100 and have maybe seen a 50mbp increase with link aggregation running. When you're running a gigabit connection already and rarely hit peak speeds (mainly only during testing), the benefit of an extra 50mbps isn't worth the cost of a new router. 

Again, unless it isn't performing how it should.  

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7