× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Night hawk M5 & patch panel

Taishin
Guide

Night hawk M5 & patch panel

Hi,

Is there a fundamental reason why I cannot connect à Nighthawk MR2500 to a patch panel through an RJ45 on the tethering plug? It does not work.

Is it only because my patch panel is old (D-link 10/100 switch DES-1016D)?

To offer some context: we wanted to replace a satellite connection with a modem-router by the 5G Mobile router.

Thanks in advance,

Taishin

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Night hawk M5 & patch panel

If that resolved it, you might mark it solved so others aren't still trying to fix it. 

glad it works again!

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Do you mean the MR5200? 

You should be able to connect a switch to it. 

The one you listed is a pretty simple 10/100mbps unmanaged switch. 

Do devices work if directly plugged into it? 

Message 2 of 8
Taishin
Guide

Sorry, yes MR5200. Devices do work when tethering directly on the mobile router.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

have you tried a different switch? 

How many devices are connected? 

Message 4 of 8
Taishin
Guide

I don’t have another switch to try… There are 5 devices.

I circumvented the problem by using WiFi on all the devices (no longer need the switch). However our printer doesn’t have WiFi so I connected it to the tethering plug of the mobile router. It didn’t work because the printer had a fixed IP address. The mobile router apparently cannot handle that (strange behavior because ping was ok but not printing). So I changed the printer setting to automatic IP address and use its DOS name when configuring the printer on the PCs.

But when I tried before with the switch, the printer was connected to the switch with a fixed IP address. I did not think the problem could come from that at the time. Maybe it was blocking the whole thing? Doubt it though.

I will try again the mobile router + switch setting without the printer and also with the new printer setting.

Thanks for your help.

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

You're right, maybe it was the printer creating a conflict connected to the switch. Might be worth trying again without it connected

Message 6 of 8
Taishin
Guide

Everything back on the switch and no problem.

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

If that resolved it, you might mark it solved so others aren't still trying to fix it. 

glad it works again!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7