× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Night hawk m6 mr6150 error

galvesribeiro
Aspirant

Night hawk m6 mr6150 error

Hello folks!

Just got my brand new Nighthawk M6 5G unlocked hotspot (MR6150) from Netgear store on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BGV79FHT?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1). The initial setup was smooth, I've configured the APN but then the device keeps "Searching" for my network.

I'm using a SIM card which is from a data plan, and which I tested on an iPad using the exact same APIs. It works there, and the Carrier says there is no blocks on it. 

The M6 keeps showing error 33 and ask for me to configure the APN.

galvesribeiro_1-1682367697770.png

Searching on the web I found out that this firmware update has mention to this "Searching" behavior:

https://kb.netgear.com/000065419/MR6150-Firmware-Version-10-04-22-00#

• Resolved an issue where the device is stuck searching and doesn't reconnect with the correct APN

galvesribeiro_0-1682367656722.png

When checking for updates (I made the Ethernet the principal internet connection) it show no new updates. Tried to find a download link from that KB to maybe force update or something like that, but there isn't any links or a clear place on where to download anything.

Can anyone clarify what should I do to get this working? My carrier don't have problemas as they work on a generic USB modem/router/stick and on the iPad, not on this Netgear device. This is a really expensive device and I really hope to not have it as a paperweight.

Thank you! I really appreciate any input here.

Message 1 of 14
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Night hawk m6 mr6150 error

Please check your APN setting. I think you are using AT&T IPad data plan. You need to set the APN following the link below.

https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1062162/

You can also send me a model.json log to check further. You can send the file via PM.

- Logon to the webui (http://192.168.1.1 ) as an administrator
- Navigate to URL http://192.168.1.1/model.json via the same browser window
- Capture the results (by selecting all + copy) and send it back

Thanks

Message 2 of 14
galvesribeiro
Aspirant

I'm not using the ATT APN. My carrier is Claro from Brazil. It works on both my iPhone and iPad where both where purchased in USA and they both works fine with the same SIM card.

I've shared with you a OneDrive link with the JSON file in it. It is too big for the PM.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 14
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@galvesribeiro wrote:

I'm not using the ATT APN. My carrier is Claro from Brazil. It works on both my iPhone and iPad where both where purchased in USA and they both works fine with the same SIM card.

I've shared with you a OneDrive link with the JSON file in it. It is too big for the PM.

Thanks!

Please send the model.json file to my email at jopeng@netgear.com. The one drive link didn't work somehow.

Thanks

John

Message 4 of 14
galvesribeiro
Aspirant

Sent! Thank you.

Message 5 of 14
galvesribeiro
Aspirant

Hey John! Were you able to see the file from the email?

I also received a call from a support engineer Today as I have an open ticket for this same case. She walked thru all troubleshooting steps including manually creating a new APN, etc, but no luck. Always having the error 33. She also confirmed the frequency/bands from my carrier and at least two of them are supposed to be supported by the device.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Thank you!

Gutemberg

Message 6 of 14
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Yes. I received the file. Sorry for the delay. I am checking and will get back to you soon.

Thanks

John

Message 7 of 14
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

From the model.json file, I couldn't see any obvious issues.

1. Roaming data is enabled on MR6150

2. APN settings looks good. (Could you please try playing with authentication type from PAP to CHAP or remove authentication altogether)

3. The device does see LTE B3, but it couldn't connect to it. 

Things to check further:

1. The SIM plan doesn't support MR6150. Could you please advise which plan you get?

2. Try to enable mobile hotspot mode on your Iphone or IPad and see whether you can connect to your IPhone or IPad WiFi

Thanks

Message 8 of 14
galvesribeiro
Aspirant

Could you please try playing with authentication type from PAP to CHAP or remove authentication altogether

Already did, and also repeated that with the support engineer on the phone.

1. The SIM plan doesn't support MR6150. Could you please advise which plan you get?

It is a data plan from Claro in Brazil. It is supposed to work. It works on my Car (Volvo XC60) which shares internet over Wifi to the passengers. It also worked when I tried with another unlocked Router from a Brazilian brand (IntelBras GX300 https://www.intelbras.com/pt-br/roteador-5g-gx-3000) which I tested with a friend of mine.

2. Try to enable mobile hotspot mode on your Iphone or IPad and see whether you can connect to your IPhone or IPad WiFi
It works just fine on iPad, iPhone (both of which were purchased in USA, just like the Nighthawk) and on my car.

Is there a way for us to get some sort of debug logs as to what is happening with the nighthawk trying to connect to the carrier network?

Message 9 of 14
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

I am checking and will get back to you soon.

Thanks

John

Message 10 of 14
galvesribeiro
Aspirant

John just to let you know, I got another SIM card from another carrier, Vivo (Telefonica in Brazil). It also works perfectly fine with My Car (as mentioned it has a router built-in), the iPad and iPhone (Personal Hotspot also work) and the Intelbras GS3000 5G router.

galvesribeiro_0-1682806268991.png

I'm losing hope on this NetGear device. 

Please advise.

Message 11 of 14
galvesribeiro
Aspirant

Hello John! Do you have any updates for me?

Btw, I got an email that the M6 Pro was released UNLOCKED and it claims to support 125+ countries. Given the frequencies we have from our carrier, do you think it would work?

galvesribeiro_1-1683765132301.png

https://www.netgear.com/home/mobile-wifi/hotspots/mr6550/?&cid=chp_congo_us_em&utm_source=sfmc&utm_m...

Thank you!

Gutemberg

Message 12 of 14
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Gutemberg,

I compared the band support on MR6550 with MR6150 and I can confirm that MR6550 has more band support than MR6150 for Brazil carriers. But I am still worrying that the issue may be due to SIM subscription issue since MR6150 also can support some of the LTE bands used by the carriers.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/BR

I am thinking to send you a MR6550 with debugging ports enabled. You can check whether MR6550 can work in Brazil with your SIM cards. If you still have issue, we can try to get some logs from your device for further checking.

If you are OK with this, please email me your address and phone number at jopeng@netgear.com. I will arrange the shipment this week.

Thanks

John

Message 13 of 14
galvesribeiro
Aspirant

Hello John, thanks. That works for me. Just sent you an email.

I've got another TIM SIM card with an unlimited data plan from my work which are used in modem/routers at my work and tested on the 6150 with no luck. However, Intelbras device did worked with all them.

I've opened a support ticket on all 3 carriers I've tested and all of them confirmed that the plans and their SIM cards are "use anywhere", meaning that you can use in routers as well.

As a matter of fact, one of them told me that the government agency which controls telecom here in Brazil (ANATEL) has a ruling from several years mandating that all carriers since the 4G/LTE was made available in Brazil, are obligated to unlock internet sharing being that features like iPhone's Personal Hotspot, modems, Routers, and PCs which has embedded SIM card with routing capability. That made me even more comfortable saying that the SIM cards are not locked here.

Lets see how the M6550 behaves then.

Thank you!

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7