Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 - Disney Circle - Internet speeds through router slowdown

juched
Apprentice

R7000 - Disney Circle - Internet speeds through router slowdown

Creating a new thread to focus on this one issue.  I don't believe this is a general slow wifi/slow internet issue, but is clearly Circle related.

All tests done on wired connection via my Netgear R7000.  I have a cable internet plan advertised as 150/15.

This was all done on firmware 1.0.9.14, and I did a factory reset and setup my options yesterday fresh.  I have never enabled QoS or Web Traffic.

I do have IPv6 configured and it works.

Circle was enabled now for 24 hours.  Speed slowly sinks down to 37Mbps.  I see this speedtest:

Step1.png

Turn off Circle via webpage on router and hit apply.  This saves quickly, no reboot of router.  Now I see full speed, and see how solid the download speed is?

Step2.png

I turn Circle back on, hit apply and I get this speed test.  All tests run inside 2 minutes:

Step3.png

Turn Circle back off, and retest.  Going to leave it off for 24 hours now to test:

Step4.png

Looking for any support from Netgear if this is expected, and if it is fixable.  Willing to help test if needed, as Cirlce seems like a great feature.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 44
juched
Apprentice

Message 2 of 44
juched
Apprentice

Any update? No replies from anyone at netgear?
Message 3 of 44
juched
Apprentice

I see that the Circle agent was updated to 2.0.7.8 in the 1.0.9.18 firmware. Trying it out to see how stable it is, but can we get a notice on what changed inside that agent build and will it address these stability issues with speed?
Message 4 of 44
juched
Apprentice

Nope, 1.0.9.18 with agent 2.0.7.8 degrades the same way. Was this not tested by netgear before release?
Message 5 of 44
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @juched,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 6 of 44
juched
Apprentice

Working with support.  I have tested 1.0.9.18 and downgraded to 1.0.9.15 beta to test circle performance.  I can confirm that al firmwares tested have the same speed degredation.  I am hopeful Netgear continues to investigate and I am trying to help them figure out the issue.

Message 7 of 44
juched
Apprentice

Testing 1.0.9.13 beta. It is still reproducible.
Message 8 of 44
juched
Apprentice

Tested 1.0.9.20 with Circle On, but this time IPv6 Off.  24 hours and I didn't have any slowdown, and circle seems to be working.  I then configured IPv6 and rebooted the router.  Within 6 hours speeds was down (190 download to 80 download).  I collected some results (as I am working with tech support) and have now disabled IPv6 and rebooted again, will keep on eye on this, but IPv6 may be invovled from what I am seeing.

Message 9 of 44
juched
Apprentice

So, after days of running with IPv6 disabled and Disney Circle Enabled, the speed remains full.  So my slowdowns were completely related to the usage if IPv6 on my network.

That being said, I orderd a Disney Circle Device, the $6 a month charge will soon be saved by buying the device.

Interesting to note, it seems Disney Circle Device stops IPv6 traffic, so this may be a Circle Limitation regardless.... Hope they fix that.

Message 10 of 44
billcrowley
Guide

I am having the same problem.  I am using the built in cirle functionality in the router...with Circle turned on, I am only getting about 125mbps down wirelessly and the web page loading lag is just awful .  With a wired computer, I have the same issue.

When I turn Circle off, I get 275 wirelessly and 900+ on the wired and the lag virtually disappears.  My router is updated to the latest firmware so I don't know what to do next.  I have been searching the net but no one seems to have an answer.  I tried turning off IPv6 on my computers and the router but it makes no difference.

This is really frustrating.  I could understand some slowdown but this much degredation is just unacceptable.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 11 of 44
billcrowley
Guide

After trying every solution I could find on the net, I gave up and turned off Circle.  Luckily, I have a 5 device Bitdefender subscription which includes thier own parental controls.  It isn't as easy as Circle but at least it works without causing everything to come to a crawl.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 12 of 44
evil_mike
Apprentice

I have Netgear Orbi and was running into the same issues you described.  I'll turn off IPv6 and see if that resolves the issue. Thanks for the heads up on this!!

Message 13 of 44
TomBT
Guide

Me too. Terrible slow down when Circle is enabled. I've never had IPV6 enabled.

Message 14 of 44
TomBT
Guide

I happen to have a stand-alone Circle cube that I used before I got the R7000. I disabled the internal Circle function and reattached the external device. Now my internet is back to full speed. So it is definitely something to do with the internal setup.

Yes, I updated to the latest firmware and yes, I did a reset after updating.
Message 15 of 44
TomBT
Guide

I received a beta firmware that supposedly fixed the slowdown issue.  I updated to this firmware and did a hardware reset, rebuilding all my settings (not restoring a backup file).

Now I cannot enable the Circle protection.  If I try thru the app I get an error saying "something went wrong, try again."  If I try to enable Circle thru the web interface I get an error saying to "check my connection to the DSL/Cable modem".

I also noticed that on the web interface, it is supposed to list "Agent Version:" and "App Database Version:". Both of these are blank.

I reported these issues to Netgear support thru my case number but have not heard back from them.

Message 16 of 44
tastygear
Aspirant

How’s the latest firmware doing for you? I get 213Mb down thru Spectrum, but with Circle turned on, it maxes out at 135-144. Is that a limit of their systems? Wondering if I had the circle hardware if it would be better.

7/12/18 - Firmware update 1.0.9

Edit: I found some additional technical info regarding limits with the circle device specifically. TLDR; circle device is limited to 802.11N speeds, therefore a 200Mb plus internet connection would be reduced to around 144 - exactly what I’m experiencing.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/circle-with-disney-parental-control-and-internet-filt...
Message 17 of 44
TomBT
Guide

I gave up on Netgear. I found that even with circle turned off, I wasn't getting my throughput from my fios provider. Using the stock router, I was getting above the 75/75 advertised. With the R7000 I was only getting 5/0.3 max!!
I switched to Advanced Tomato firmware and am getting full speed with the R7000. I haven't tried it with the separate Circle device. I don't like the WiFi Spoofing technology it uses. That's why I bought the R7000 to begin with since it was an internal service.
Message 18 of 44
tastygear
Aspirant

Have/are you going the opendns filtering route?

Some additional technical info on said spoofing:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/circle-with-disney-reviewed.32464/page-2#post-369475
Message 19 of 44
TomBT
Guide

I just went back to OpenDNS for now. I have an account with them that lets me set limits. Not as fancy as the Circle, but it works.
Message 20 of 44
tastygear
Aspirant

http://www.unglue.com

Looks quite interesting. I’ll report back.
Message 21 of 44
Michaeldx
Aspirant

Having the same issue. When I have Circle enabled, it cuts my speeds in half. Disabled, I get full speed. With OpenDNS I get full speeds, so I'm going back to using that.

I did NOT have IPV6 enabled at all.

Message 22 of 44
TomBT
Guide

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Neato-Robot-and-R7000/m-p/1615905/highlight/...

Try my suggestions in this thread. After a firmware update and resetting the machine a few times, mine is working now. It may have had something to do with my switch to tomato and back again.
Message 23 of 44
Kyle_PHX
Guide

Same problem here, didn't notice so bad until recently, but with the latest firmware update, page loads from my phone (Android Oreo on HTC U11) are brutally slow, and similar slowness on other devices too, with 80Mbps service. Will try a reset I guess and see if it makes any difference. I really like the Circle functionality for limiting my kids' access, but it's looking my connection does. IPv6 disabled here too.
Model: R7000P | AC2300 Nighthawk Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 24 of 44
runboy
Initiate

330Mbps without Circle enabled and 150Mbps with Circle enabled.

Hope they figure this out since I do like how easy Circle is to configure.

Message 25 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7