× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1000 R6080 LAN 50% speed issue

PinWiz70
Aspirant

AC1000 R6080 LAN 50% speed issue

Hey all. I've scoured the threads and apologize if I'm asking the same question someone else did.

Specs:
AC1000 R6080
V1.0.0.44

Setup:
Arris (Spectrum) cable modem to R6080 router.
One desktop computer wired to R6080 router
WiFi broadcasting but no devices connected

I have 100+mbps service. If I connect my computer direct to the modem, fast.com shows 120mbps. If I connect the computer through the R6080 I only get 55-60mbps, and that's with three empty ports and no wifi activity. Multiple ethernet cables tried with the same result. Power cycling same result. Upgrade to newest software + power cycle same result.

I'm aware that this unit tops out at 100mbps. I'm fine with that. I'm just curious at the 50% loss in speed. Thanks for your time.

Model: R6080|AC1000 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

Re: AC1000 R6080 LAN 50% speed issue

I'm sorry. Perhaps I should have made myself clearer. Your router is limited to a theoretical maximum of 100 Mbps. It cannot talk to anything faster than that. It has no chance of achieving the speed you are paying for. And even that 100 Mbps is debatable. It is, as I said, theoretical. Throw in the processing overhead and the need to accommodate other things on your network and it won't do 100 Mbps either. The speed loss you report could be down to various factors. The bottom line is that it is not up to the job.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies

@PinWiz70 wrote:

I have 100+mbps service. If I connect my computer direct to the modem, fast.com shows 120mbps.

Your Internet is faster than your router.

According to Netgear's manual for this device, not always the most reliable source of information, the LAN and WAN support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer internet services and most modern network hardware. Newer devices support 1000BASE-TX.

The surprise is that Netgear was still selling stuff that slow in 2017.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in your model number and find the documentation for your hardware.

Message 2 of 6
PinWiz70
Aspirant

@michaelkenward My internet is faster than my router. Yes I know that. I made mention of that. I said I was fine with that. That's not the issue.

Is there anyone that can explain why a R6080 router, factory reset with the lastest firmware, one computer wired to it, zero wifi traffic throttles speed 50%?

Computer A ----- Cable modem ------ 120mpbs

Computer A ----- R6080 router ----- Cable modem ----- 55mbps

Message 3 of 6

I'm sorry. Perhaps I should have made myself clearer. Your router is limited to a theoretical maximum of 100 Mbps. It cannot talk to anything faster than that. It has no chance of achieving the speed you are paying for. And even that 100 Mbps is debatable. It is, as I said, theoretical. Throw in the processing overhead and the need to accommodate other things on your network and it won't do 100 Mbps either. The speed loss you report could be down to various factors. The bottom line is that it is not up to the job.
Message 4 of 6
PinWiz70
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

Ah alright that makes sense to me. Thanks for the clarification. I'm dumping the R6080 in favor of a TP-Link Archer A6. Gigabit LAN ports. Forget this 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX stuff.

Thanks again

Message 5 of 6
PinWiz70
Aspirant

Update: I installed a gigabit LAN wireless router and all problems were solved. Internet speeds doubled from 55mbps to 100+mbps

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7