× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Add another RBR850 satellite or extender?

Buyamac
Aspirant

Add another RBR850 satellite or extender?

Hi, I have a three piece RBR850 system. One base and two satellites, all on the first floor. It covers the 2nd floor very well, but loses significant speed/latency on the third floor (my office and home theater). I do have previous cat5 Ethernet running from room base is in and the third floor. I could purchase another satellite, but it would be to far from other devices for wireless backhaul to work. Should I buy another identical satellite and hard wire it to the base OR purchase the Whole Home Mesh WiFi Satellite Extender?
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Add another RBR850 satellite or extender?

I would try spacing them out properly first. Then if you truly do need another one, I'd look at the mesh satellites and not extenders. They'd integrate with the system. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

How big is your home that you have the router and all of the satellites on the same floor? 

Have you tried staggering them? They're omnidirectional.

Like  put the primary router on floor 2 and then the sateiiites on floor 1 and floor 3? 

Message 2 of 6
Buyamac
Aspirant

It’s 5000 sq ft. But I am forced to put base on far left side of house and based on 30ft recommendation distance for satellite, I can’t put one close enough on 2nd floor to get full
Coverage to my wife’s office on the opposite side of the house on the first floor (away from base. 3rd unit covers screened porch and outdoor pool area.
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

30ft is the minimum distance they need. You can go further, you just have to check the backhaul connection speed/quality. 

Message 4 of 6
Buyamac
Aspirant

Sounds good. However if I determine I need to add something to the third floor, can I hardwire a satellite and add it to the current mesh or is the extender the correct product?
Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

I would try spacing them out properly first. Then if you truly do need another one, I'd look at the mesh satellites and not extenders. They'd integrate with the system. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7