× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Best Model to Buy 100Mbps

krazybob
Aspirant

Best Model to Buy 100Mbps

I currently have a RangeMax N150 WPN824N that is supposed to give me up to 150Mbps. On a wired connection nit does. But not wireless where I average 68Mbps. But it varies. I have a Samsing LED TV with built-in Chromecast and it buffers like crazy 15 feet from the 824N.

Time to upgrade. I have Charter Business 100/20. What is a good wireless router, diversity would be nice, that also has hard wired ports? I DHCP to a 24-port switch and need to hard-wire.

Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 24

Accepted Solutions
slackrl
Luminary

Re: Best Model to Buy 100Mbps

Hi krazybob

No point to be made.

U R Most Welcome.

Just trying to pool knowledge to assist in getting the best out of your networking situation.

I think I see your point. Let's see if I've got this right and add more knowledge to your years of knowledge!

Quote " I will only repeat the the theorhetical maximun speed of 802.11 n is 600Mbps"

The 802.11n is a specification/standard with different manufactures and models meeting the N spec range i.e. (54 - 600Mbps).

"802.11n operates on both the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz bands. Support for 5 GHz bands is optional. It operates at a maximum net data rate from 54 Mbit/s to 600 Mbit/s. The IEEE has approved the amendment, and it was published in October 2009".

The N model of the router is and indicator to be devided by 2 (1 for each band, 2.4Hz and 5GHz respectively) to give you the rate at which data will move across

wifi to (speed capable) devices/clients you connect to your network.

I have Netgear WNDR4500v2 it is a N900 class router. (The D in the model number means this router will operate both bands at the same time).

900 devided by 2 = 450 which means I will get in theory up to 450 Mbps Data Transfer Rate across both bands.

Your's is the RangeMax N150

So your Data rate in theory will max would be 150 divided by 2 = 75Mbps Data Transfer Rate

This explains your "no more than 65Mbps on a good day".

Even with a Wifi card that can handle 300Mbps.

The R7000 in theory will give you 700Mbps

Runing around 600+13000Mbps

The Orbi is 3Gbps Clearly way more speed.

How well these two models perform I can't say as I have no experience with them... but one day... perhapsSmiley Very Happy

Hope this helps

RSlack

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 24

All Replies
VE6CGX
Master

Any current crop of routers will beat what you got there, LOL! If I were you, I'll pick R7000 or R7800. I had R7000 and upgraded to R7800 and I am happy.

I don't have any buffering issues.

Message 2 of 24
TheEther
Guru

Don't take advertised Wi-Fi speeds at face value.  They are link speeds.  Actual speeds will usually be between 35% and 50% of the link speed.  Even the link speed will drop as distances or radio interference increase.  So, 68 Mbps is pretty much on target for best-case expected speeds.

Personally, I would recommend an 802.11ac router.  A dual-band 802.11n router will be cheaper but the price differential is small enough that an AC router will be worth the extra cost.  It will also be much more capable of delivering 100 Mbps to your devices in the 5 GHz band.  Don't expect much improvement in the 2.4 GHz band.  5 GHz is where it's at.

Message 3 of 24
krazybob
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply.

I am not a gamer so a 7800 is way too fast for my needs. It looks like an AC1200 for even an AC1900 would serve me well. If I read the details right I can even run a NAS drive off of the USB port? The prices are so close that I might just go to the 7800.

But here's the issue. The built-in LAN ports will give me blazing speed but I need wireless speed. If I am paying for 100 down I want to see 100 down (minus overhead.) Or close to it. But this 20Mbps to cell phones and laptops 15 feet away doesn't do it for me. What if I want to run a small web server or mail server? A LAN port should be able to do it at 20Mbps.

Message 4 of 24
krazybob
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply and your honesty.

So even if I upgrade I won't see a speed improvement on wireless. Why upgrade then? I already have an 802.11N. I have it set for 150Mbps and I dont get half of that.

Message 5 of 24
mondenath
Prodigy

No you cant complain the router if the client cant take advantage of the router speed. More over the advertized speed of 1770 is mere gimmick. even if you have two router bridged practically you cant achieve in that close speed. But yes you are good to go with R7800 unless you are stick to budget get R7000.

So if your concern is wireless speed. its definitely not the range but the Wireless N has a cap of 150-300Mbps. Most portable devices only have 1x1 antenna for transfer. Current TV and smart devices including phones started to come with 2x2 antenna when connected in N you might get 150Mbps or if AC band 866Mbps.

So you will see the improvement if you have AC band clients like say your TV in this scenario. But mobile clients will also see some improved response

Message 6 of 24

@krazybob wrote:

But here's the issue. The built-in LAN ports will give me blazing speed but I need wireless speed. If I am paying for 100 down I want to see 100 down (minus overhead.)

I can't see any mention of this, and it may not be relevant to you, but the built-in LAN bit of your hardware is probably 100BASE-Tx, that is 100 Mbps, hardly "blazing speed".

Even wired network connections are running at the limits of your Internet connection. Modern kit has LAN at 1000 Mbps.

Message 7 of 24
krazybob
Aspirant

I don't recall "complaining."

Message 8 of 24
slackrl
Luminary

Hi krazybob:

In reading this post... Maybe a interjection here would help.

On wireless you can only go as fast as the wireless device is capable of receivng.  In your equipment case.

-Charter/Spectrum 100/20 internet (which is good!  I have Charter and get 60/5)

-RangeMax 150

( I think the RangeMax puts out 13 - 20Mbps Wireless) I could be wrong on that.

So let's just say RangeMax could  put out 150 Mbps over wireless.

Now the speed you get will also depends on the speed at which the device can receive.

In this Example:

1. Cell Phone rated at 54Mbps - Cell phone will report 54Mbps becasue it is all the Cell Phone can receive.

2. Streaming device rated at 85Mbs - Streaming device will report 85Mbps because it is all the Streaming device can receive.

3. AppleTV 4th Gen rated at 300Mbps (Wireless 5G)

AppleTV 4th Gen with RangeMax - AppTv 4th Gen will report 150Mbps because it is all the RangeMax can deliver (per this example),

although AppleTv can receive 300Mbps, if the router will put that amount of wireless speed.

(Say an N900 router will put out 450Mbps over Wireless) then The AppleTv will report 300Mbps.

Also keep in mind as stated earlier in this discussion, the distance/location and barriers between the device and router can affect signal and speed.

Hope this helps

RSlack

Message 9 of 24
krazybob
Aspirant

Thank you for a very informative reply. I had not considered the wireless adapter speed. I just looked it up and see that I have:

Dell Wireless 1397 802.11g Mini-Card
Dell Wireless 1520 Wireless-N Mini-Card

I don't know how to select the type N or if it automatic. It looks like it is automatic because I just checked my wireless connection and it shows that I am using the 1520-N. A 802.11n has a theorhetical speed of 600Mbps but I know that isn't in the real world. I get no more than 65Mbps and that's on a good day. If I close the door between my office and bedroom I may drop to just a couple of bars on the laptop. I know that I can run a wired connection but that is not convenient. I can connect to neighbors wireless through walls and disstance and get a good connection so it isn't necessarily the laptop.

I also

Message 10 of 24
William10a
Master

Any of the r7000 and above should do the job just keep mind what may be the next internet speed you may update too in future a 1gb port should be enough to hold you for the foreseeable future.

Message 11 of 24
krazybob
Aspirant

Thank you but an R7000 is way overkill. I can handle 65Mbps to my laptop or cellp phone.

My issue is more the crappy performance of the Samnsung 50" LCD Smart TV that can't manage 1.5Mbps in the same room as the laptop getting 65Mbps. I like to watch Youtube video's and it buffers... "Loading...": and then times out. That's more an issue with Samsung but they won't admit it. It has been suggested that I buy an external Chromecast device. You should have heard the phone calls with Samsung and Google each blaming one another to the point of denying that the TV even has Chromecast. "It's a software isssue. Let me transfer you to Google..." "It's a hardware issue. Let me transfer yoou to Samsung..." I would run a hard line but I have no guarantee that will solve the problem. Is it that I am running DHCP? I have a spare static IP. Should I installk Orbit? That's just a bit more than an R7000 at $179.

Message 12 of 24
TheEther
Guru

Are you sure your Samsung has Chromecast built in?  It's not listed as a supported brand by Google (link).  What's the model of your TV?

DHCP should not be an issue, but you can always try a static IP to eliminate one more variable.  A wired connection would also eliminate another variable.  You can temporarily set up a wired connection for testing purposes.  Otherwise, consider getting an external streamer (Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Roku, etc.).  I have a older Samsung TV and it's simply terrible at streaming.

Message 13 of 24
William10a
Master

The Orbi router is a possible answer if willing to spend the money for it but people have paid the same amount or more for the latest Netgear super routers  only you can make the final choice and a wired connection to the tv would be the best solution as it bypasses all the wifi issues that could affect the connection over wifi.

Have ever check to see if the tv has a firmware update that needs to be install.

Message 14 of 24
slackrl
Luminary

Hi krazybob

IMHO lots of things are in the air that need to be narrowed down further.

I agree with TheEther

-A temp wired connect is a good places to start as most TV/networked devices run 100Mbps.

A wired connection will eliminate Channel conflicts.

100Mbps Data Transfer Rate is faster than 65Mbps which you are getting on the Laptop.

The Data Transfer Rate of the WiFi on the Samsung is unknown at this point going wired might pull in 50-65Mbps.

-DHCP avoids ip Conficts and should not be a problem.

I concurr with William10a

-The final choice will have to be yours.

Just a thought on the R7000 as "way overkill" is again IMHO, relative, as "what is fast today might be slow tomorrow"

and the R7000 could future-proof you for a few years.

-If you have not updated the firmware on the TV it would be a good idea to do so.

Note: I would first check the firmware version to see if there are a lot of complaints about it or things stop working.

The Wireless on the TV is the unkown factor once you find out it's  DTF (Data Transfer Rate) it would help in moving forward.

FYI the:

-Dell Wireless 1397 802.11g Mini-Card... DTF is 54Mbps  g networks
 -Dell Wireless 1520 Wireless-N Mini-Card... DTF is 300Mbps a,g,n networks

Another Unknown factor is... WiFi channel conflict, as you may know.

WiFi channels are sort of like traffic lanes, other Wifi Networks near to you could be crossing into your channel lanes

which can slow down your network and cause issues, (a wired connection eliminates this).

The standard lanes/channels for 2.4GHz are 1, 6  & 11 and most WiFi TV's and devices work on 2.4GHz.

You might try changing your  WiFi Channel on the router to see if this will help.

The standard lanes/channels for 5Ghz ar far more, starting with Channel 36 and goining up - 165

far less crowded  "Everybody and their Grand Ma are on 2.4GHz!".

Micro Wave Ovens can interfer, and home cordless telepohnes as some at work on 2.4GHz.

I think 15-20 ft from a Micro and Phone should do the trick.

Hope this is of help.

RSlack

Message 15 of 24
krazybob
Aspirant

LOL. Sorry but I have to laugh. Yes, it has built-in WI-FI and Chromecast. I use it all the time. But it is slow. As I wrote it stopped working. After Samsung pushed an OS upgrade to my PHONE it began working again but still slow.

Message 16 of 24
krazybob
Aspirant

As a well experienced user I agree with everything you said. I will only repeat that the theorhetical maximum speed of 802.11n is 600Mbps. You are correct that the Dell 1520 is only 300Mbps but I'm not getting it!

I know that 2.4gHz is well used. I live at 6,300 feet above southern California and it is called "pilot noise." I used to work in the cellphone repair and installation business and worked for PACTEL (renamed now) and did area surveys of performance. I can try chaning channels but I don't expect that it will help. Too many people have 2.4GHz. I could switch to 5GHz but my girlfriends house only hase 2.4GHz.

My home phones are on 900MHz deliberately. As an Extra Class Amasteur Radio Operator radio isn't new to me. As the owner of a hosting company that has built his own networks for years IP's aren't. But when it comes to Netgear consumer grade products I'll admit that there is much I don't know. I can try a R7000 but would rather spend the extra money and put an Orbi cell in the room with the TV. Unless you are telling me that the R7000 routers are using multiple mbands for backhaul like the Orbi it seems to be more advanced than the R7000.

Have I inadvertently missed a point you are making? I appreciate your effort.

Message 17 of 24
TheEther
Guru

AFAICT, no Samsung TV has Chromecast built in.  You may have something similar, but it's not Google Chromecast.

Message 18 of 24
krazybob
Aspirant

I have Google Chromecast. I use it daily. I just press the Chromsecast button on my Samsung Note 5 or T33 tablet.

From Google:

Amazon.com: Samsung UN50J6200 50-Inch 1080p Smart LED TV (2015 Model): Electronics. ... Prime. Samsung UN50J5200 50-Inch (49.5" Diag.) ..... 2 USB and 2 HDMI ports (I use them for Bluetooth Transmitter and Google Chromecast)+

Message 19 of 24
slackrl
Luminary

Hi krazybob

No point to be made.

U R Most Welcome.

Just trying to pool knowledge to assist in getting the best out of your networking situation.

I think I see your point. Let's see if I've got this right and add more knowledge to your years of knowledge!

Quote " I will only repeat the the theorhetical maximun speed of 802.11 n is 600Mbps"

The 802.11n is a specification/standard with different manufactures and models meeting the N spec range i.e. (54 - 600Mbps).

"802.11n operates on both the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz bands. Support for 5 GHz bands is optional. It operates at a maximum net data rate from 54 Mbit/s to 600 Mbit/s. The IEEE has approved the amendment, and it was published in October 2009".

The N model of the router is and indicator to be devided by 2 (1 for each band, 2.4Hz and 5GHz respectively) to give you the rate at which data will move across

wifi to (speed capable) devices/clients you connect to your network.

I have Netgear WNDR4500v2 it is a N900 class router. (The D in the model number means this router will operate both bands at the same time).

900 devided by 2 = 450 which means I will get in theory up to 450 Mbps Data Transfer Rate across both bands.

Your's is the RangeMax N150

So your Data rate in theory will max would be 150 divided by 2 = 75Mbps Data Transfer Rate

This explains your "no more than 65Mbps on a good day".

Even with a Wifi card that can handle 300Mbps.

The R7000 in theory will give you 700Mbps

Runing around 600+13000Mbps

The Orbi is 3Gbps Clearly way more speed.

How well these two models perform I can't say as I have no experience with them... but one day... perhapsSmiley Very Happy

Hope this helps

RSlack

Message 20 of 24
TheEther
Guru

@krazybob wrote:

I have Google Chromecast. I use it daily. I just press the Chromsecast button on my Samsung Note 5 or T33 tablet.

From Google:

Amazon.com: Samsung UN50J6200 50-Inch 1080p Smart LED TV (2015 Model): Electronics. ... Prime. Samsung UN50J5200 50-Inch (49.5" Diag.) ..... 2 USB and 2 HDMI ports (I use them for Bluetooth Transmitter and Google Chromecast)+

Thanks for providing the model numbers.  Your TV does not have built-in Chromecast.  You are using the Chromcast app on your tablets.  There is a big difference.  The tablet performs screen mirroring (aka screen casting) to display the signal on the TV.  This typically uses a wireless protocol called Miracast.  Samsung calls it AllShare Cast.  So, the video stream is actually going to your tablet via Wi-Fi, which then sends it over to the TV via Miracast.  This means there are two places where buffering can be occurring.  The tablet could be getting poor Wi-Fi reception from the router, or the TV could be getting poor Miracast reception from the tablet.

Hope this helps.

Message 21 of 24
William10a
Master

If that's what your chorma connection on your tv is I can see why it is a hard problem to solve you have at lease two points of possible problems and the performance hit when you use another device to relay a signal from point a to point c via point b. Point b has to receive and transmit the signal again in a way like a wifi extender were you can lose up to half the speed of the original wifi source. You could possible use a network attached Chorma player box hard wird via hdmi to the tv if you have a freehdmi  port.

Message 22 of 24

Powerline (look it up in the products pages) is a natural solution for smart TVs and similar devices. 

Message 23 of 24
krazybob
Aspirant

If you are referring to IP over AC power line I already have a Netgear. But as an extra class amateur radio operator I know that broadband signals tend to wipe out ham radio communications. I could try it but I won't be surprised if it causes interference.

I think I'm better off with an R7000 mounted above my desk instead of along side of it, or an Orbi that uses 5GHz for backhaul. All of my laptop's are on 2.4GHz as are my cellphones.

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7