× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Best router for > 40 connected devices

kakarott
Tutor

Best router for > 40 connected devices

Hello,

a) I'm looking for a router which can connect 40 devices or more (wirelessly, simultaneously). Any suggestion on the cheapest router for that?

b) I'm eyeing the D7000 Nighthawk or the R7000 Nighthawk. How many devices can that each connect to (wireless) simultaneously? Would these routers be an overkill? I'd be using this in a ~1000 sqf apartment

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
kakarott
Tutor

Re: Best router for > 40 connected devices

Thanks for the advice! Turns out each manual uses different word for device/client/node (I did a CTRL + F). From the manual:

Nighthawk D7000 : The modem router can support a maximum of 256 clients:

• Maximum number of wired clients: 128
  • Maximum number of 2.4 GHz WiFi clients: 64
  • Maximum number of 5 GHz WiFi clients: 64
  • In a WiFi network, the maximum number of clients is limited by the amount of WiFi traffic that is generated by each client.

Nighthawk R7000 : Maximum computers per wireless network : Limited by the amount of wireless network traffic generated by each node (typically 50–70 nodes).

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12

All Replies
TaterSalid
Virtuoso

I think people tend to go overboard with expensive routers. Your apt at 1000 square ft. will not need much for coverage. For your 40 devices, it all depends on what they are. Remember, a fast WIFI is only as good as the service provided. That 100-200Mbit coming in will not benefit from 1750 Mbit WIFI. The fast WIFI helps the connected devices such as gaming devices where you could have several interconnected. Just don't forget that everything is still restricted by your service speed. Also, in an apartment setting interference from neighbors can be a problem. Wired Internet is the best here. Computers and TVs that can be wired is preferred.

As to your question, unless you are doing something special, almost anything will work. I have a dirt cheap R6020 that handles 3 streaming TVs, several phones, ion Robot vacuum and a few other things. One TV is wired for the interference issue. Good luck.

Message 2 of 12

@kakarott wrote:

I'm eyeing the D7000 Nighthawk

That is a modem router.The R7000 is a router.

If you already have a modem, what is it?

Do you need a router or an access point, a wifi extender?

WiFi Range Extenders: Boost Your WiFi Range | NETGEAR

Message 3 of 12
kakarott
Tutor

My ISP already provided a modem : Technicolor CWA0101 CM (couldn't find that model's specs in their website nor general internet)Technicolor modem.jpg

I found a good second hand deal for a D7000 (model + router model), which is why I was considering it aside from the R7000 (router only). I suppose I can connect it to the Technicolor modem (only as a router) ?

Anyone know how many users/devices either D7000 or R7000 can have connected wirelessly (simultaneously) ?

Message 4 of 12
TaterSalid
Virtuoso

Again, unless you are talking hundreds there shouldn't be a problem with the count. Someone said consumer grade routers were limited to 255. Don't quote me on that. The real problem is what those devices are and are they all trying to work at one time.

Message 5 of 12
kakarott
Tutor

It seems that most router manufacturer don't create one that can reach that number (255). I have asked some of the companies and here are their numbers:

• D-Link single band (model DIR-612) = max 16 devices
  • TP-Link dual band (model Archer C7) = max 30 devices (15 per band)
  • NETGEAR dual band = max 64 devices (32 per band) based on this 2016 article, but I'm not sure how reliable the article is, hence my query in this forum (can't find the email address for Netgear support)
Message 6 of 12
TaterSalid
Virtuoso

The most I have tried to run is 30. If Netgear is limited to 32/64 then a commercial grade router may be what you need. Consider EdgeRouter.
Message 7 of 12
kakarott
Tutor

Is your Netgear router = single band or dual band?

Message 8 of 12
TaterSalid
Virtuoso

It is a dual band R6020. I set it for 30 hosts. One of those is the router so it was 29 hosts addresses that I reserved. I haven’t had all devices connected but the router didn’t complain about the config.
Message 9 of 12
TaterSalid
Virtuoso

Have you downloaded the manual for your chosen router?
Message 10 of 12
TaterSalid
Virtuoso

This router, R6020, is $30 to $35us. I have 3. One has been a problem. Unless you will do heavy streaming it will be fine. It will handle two TVs if you have the Internet speed to support them. Good luck.

The manual: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6020.aspx#docs

From the manual: 

DHCP range 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254

Maximum computers per WiFi network - Limited by the amount of WiFi network traffic generated by each node (typically 50–70 nodes) 

Message 11 of 12
kakarott
Tutor

Thanks for the advice! Turns out each manual uses different word for device/client/node (I did a CTRL + F). From the manual:

Nighthawk D7000 : The modem router can support a maximum of 256 clients:

• Maximum number of wired clients: 128
  • Maximum number of 2.4 GHz WiFi clients: 64
  • Maximum number of 5 GHz WiFi clients: 64
  • In a WiFi network, the maximum number of clients is limited by the amount of WiFi traffic that is generated by each client.

Nighthawk R7000 : Maximum computers per wireless network : Limited by the amount of wireless network traffic generated by each node (typically 50–70 nodes).

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7