× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Computer won't recognize wifi/router N300 wifi cable modem router C3000

notAtechie2
Follower

Computer won't recognize wifi/router N300 wifi cable modem router C3000

My Dell laptop has completely stopped recognizing that my router and wifi signal exist. I can see my neighbors' wifi signals, but can't find mine despite other electronics connecting without a problem. Dell claims it's a router problem.

Can anyone help?

I don't think I've updated firmware......didn't know I needed to do it & don't know how.

Message 1 of 7

Re: Computer won't recognize wifi/router N300 wifi cable modem router C3000

@notAtechie2 wrote:

My Dell laptop has completely stopped recognizing that my router and wifi signal exist. I can see my neighbors' wifi signals, but can't find mine despite other electronics connecting without a problem.

Does anything else see the wifi from the modem/router? If so, it sort of points at the Dell.

Dell claims it's a router problem.

Of course it does. That is the easiest way out.

Have you tried the usual tricks with wifi devices? Tell the Dell to forget that it had ever talked to the C3000 and set up the connection from scratch. No harm in rebooting the C3000 while you are at it.

I don't think I've updated firmware......didn't know I needed to do it & don't know how.

There is nothing that you can do about that. Firmware is in the hands of your Internet service provider.

What’s the latest firmware version of my NETGEAR cable modem or modem router? | Answer | NETGEAR Sup...

If your firmware is outdated, you cannot manually upgrade your cable modem’s or modem router’s firmware. You must contact your Internet service provider (ISP) to upgrade your firmware.

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Cable Modems & Routers

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

Easy way to check if its a router problem. Try a different device. Can the other devices see your routers wifi? 

Message 3 of 7

@plemans wrote:

Easy way to check if its a router problem. Try a different device. Can the other devices see your routers wifi? 

As I read the first message:

can't find mine despite other electronics connecting without a problem.

The answer to that key question is yes.

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

@michaelkenward whoops, read it to fast 🙂

thanks for the correction. 

got a cheap usb wifi adapter you can plug into the laptop to test to see if its the laptop's wireless card causing the issue? 

Message 5 of 7

@plemans wrote:

got a cheap usb wifi adapter you can plug into the laptop to test to see if its the laptop's wireless card causing the issue? 

Worth having ine of those lying around for just this purpose.

Message 6 of 7
wcalifas
Prodigy

restart your computer and see if that helps, also disable your wifi adapter and wait a little bit then enable it back on in the control panel for the devices.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7