× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Router Firmware RBR50 won't update but RBS50 Satellite Firmware Updated just fine w/ Manual Upd

cbrabthy
Tutor

Orbi Router Firmware RBR50 won't update but RBS50 Satellite Firmware Updated just fine w/ Manual Upd

- Was able to perform a Manual Update of my Orbi RBS50 Satellite Firmware to v2.7.2.104. YAY!!!

When I attempt the same process with the RBR50 Router:

- I get the message that v2.7.2.104.img is the wrong file.

- Same message with v2.6.1.40.img AND v2.7.2.104.img

- When I check the firmware version on the Netgear site, it tells me that my RBR50 Firmware is v1.4.0.34 AND that there is "...no update available". This is not true because I have downloaded the RBR v2.7.2.104.img file to my Desktop which corresponds with the successful Firmware Upgrade of my RBS50 Satellite to v2.7.2.104

- My apps have never allowed me to update the firmware despite repeated messages to do so over the course of two years.

I need to update the router firmware. Please help...

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
cbrabthy
Tutor

Re: Orbi Router Firmware RBR50 won't update but RBS50 Satellite Firmware Updated just fine w/ Manual

Ok...I had to go through about 7 firmware update .img files starting with the one closest to the version I with which I purchased the router. 

Once I got to v2.3...I was able to skip to the current 2.7...version.

All done! Thank you for your help.

Corbin

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi Router Firmware RBR50 won't update but RBS50 Satellite Firmware Updated just fine w/ Manual

Wow thats an out of date device. 

Try installing version 2.2.1.212

RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.2.1.212 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Then you can go to 2.3.0.32

Message 2 of 6
cbrabthy
Tutor

Thank you for your response. Must I upgrade step by step versions until I get to the 2.7...104 or can I skip a few after the 2.3...that you suggest?

Again...thank you.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

You'll be able to skip. (not sure at exactly what point without looking it up)

there was a change in there needed to enlarge the partitioning for the increasing firmware size.  

Message 4 of 6
cbrabthy
Tutor

Thank you...I'll let you know how it goes.

Message 5 of 6
cbrabthy
Tutor

Ok...I had to go through about 7 firmware update .img files starting with the one closest to the version I with which I purchased the router. 

Once I got to v2.3...I was able to skip to the current 2.7...version.

All done! Thank you for your help.

Corbin

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7